Organic Box Schemes

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2
Monday 9 October 2006 2.58pm
I'd like to get a box of organic vegetables delivered to me each week - does anyone have the details of a supplier that they recommend ?
I have one - Abel & Cole - but I'm looking for the 'localest as possible'....Thx
ood
Monday 9 October 2006 3.17pm
we've been using Farmaround (www.farmaround.co.uk) for years and are very happy with them. not sure how local they are, but the founder is very dedicated and does her best to ensure everything done as ecologically friendly as possible. they do have a more limited range than Abel & Cole, though and don't send meat (no prob for us veggies). also a tad bit cheaper than the others i'd say.
Monday 9 October 2006 3.22pm
I get a box from Riverford, www.riverford.co.uk I chose them over able and cole as they seemed on paper to be a bit better value. Not sure if it would meet your localest requirment tho as the farm is actualy in Devon, but the distibuter is in southwark and comes on Saturday morning, so always very handy for sunday lunch (had some very very yummy squash last night)!
Monday 9 October 2006 9.21pm
Riverford for me too! Great box delivered on Saturday and the Squash looked ace!
Tuesday 10 October 2006 10.54am
I use "Don't Panic go organic" who are based in whitechapel and will do free delivery if there are at least a few in the same area. They charge 11.99 for a box for 2 for a week. Its worth going around there (49 Cavell Street - E1) to discuss what you do and don't like.

No further conenction with them except that I think they're quite good.
Tuesday 10 October 2006 8.17pm
The Riverford stuff looks good - what are the box sizes like? Which size would feed one hungry vegetarian for a week?
Wednesday 11 October 2006 8.49am
I get the fruit and veg box, there are 2 of us, not vege and not always able to cook properly every night so we usualy find that to be more than enough and I often end up making a big batch of vege curry or soup to freeze. We used to get the "small box" but found we never got through all the potatos and carrots that came every week. Though I should imagaine that if you are a vegetarian with a big appettite you could eat it all. When we started we just did a few one off orders so try that and see what size suits you.
Wednesday 11 October 2006 9.21am
For what it's worth I just got in touch with Farmaround (as mentioned in one of the first posts) - and they say that their 'Standard Organic Vegetable Box) is designed for 2 - 4 people - and costs 10.55 + 1 delivery.

This is all great - and agree the best way is to give them a go - but I still haven't found a LOCAL supplier (unless of course 'Don't Panic' are local. I mean local in the sense of not having to transport the food all the way to London from miles away) Farmaround are in Richmond, North Yorks and Riverford in Devon.

Will keep looking and trying and post something if I find it !
Wednesday 11 October 2006 10.35am
"Don't panic" are in Whitechapel in E1, but I don't know here they get their produce from
Wednesday 11 October 2006 8.26pm
Thanks Kirsty. Initially I've gone for the small box plus fruit bag, so will see how it goes.
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: