Freecycling

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2
java Friday 13 October 2006 1.17pm
Anyone know if we have a Freecycling group in Southwark?
In a bid to keep perfectly good stuff out of landfills etc Freecycling is where a bunch of people advertise their stuff for free. You set up a group through Yahoo groups and it has a mderator, a bit like this site. People receive regular digests of what's on offer. I think one of the rules is that things should be collected for free and obviously the stuff itself should be free as well. No advertising of services or persons is permitted(for example parents who are tempted to advertise their kids for sale...) and it is moderated to make sure no dodgy things get on it.
See the website www.freecycling.org
Lambeth have a group but Southwark doesn't seem to. It is a legit community effort which i think started in the US but I'm aware it could be thought of as competing with charity shops.
Julie Friday 13 October 2006 2.10pm
I'm in the general London one which is great - it also means that your Offered and Wanteds go to a wider audience! It's also adviseable to set up for the digests to go into a separate folder as you can get up to ten a day ...
JonR Friday 13 October 2006 4.25pm
i tried this, but got confused, and started replying to posts, which all went to moderator, and not to the person who wanted/had something.

apparently there are people around who collect things through freecycle, and then sell them straight away on e-bay (for profit - obviously).

if you can take it to a charity shop - IMO that's a better option.
hong kong penguin Friday 13 October 2006 4.59pm
I say, if they make the effort to come pick it up, they can do whatever they want with it! When I was moving home from Hammersmith, freecycle was awesome, people would always respond within an hour, and they'd pick the stuff up the same day. This is particularly useful for bigger items where it might be a pain to try to deliver it to a charity shop, who may or may not accept the items in the first place. When I tried to give some furniture away to the furniture recycling charity to collect, they were booked up weeks in advance!
liz Friday 13 October 2006 6.36pm
Try this link: http://www.southwark.gov.uk/YourServices/environment/wasteminimisation/swapxchange.html I think this is the closest Southwark comes to freecycling.
Stíofán Thursday 26 October 2006 1.45pm
java wrote:
Anyone know if we have a Freecycling group in Southwark?

Not yet...sorry to say that I got all green & community minded and tried to set-up Freecycle for Southwark, but its quite time consuming and complicatated and unfortunately Freecycle gave up on me and other projects took over my time. I had intended to set-up the site and get things going and then recruit moderators from SE1 forum to take the load - I still think it's a great idea and if noone else completes it I'll have another go at some point. All details to set-up Freecycle are at the freecycle web site if anyone is interested.
JonR Monday 30 October 2006 11.36am
i has an email from freecycle the other day, saying that some people were putting things up on the site, and then when people turned up to collect them, were expecting payment, and wouldn't let the stuff go, unless they got paid.

Clearly that's not the point of freecycle.
java Monday 30 October 2006 2.56pm
Hi all, thanks for all comments. I had a go at freecycling some things but my first taker is being less than helpful about coming to collect. Its still a good idea for sofas and other furniture which would otherwise go in to landfill as they cannot be taken by charity shops and or be in houses to let if they are too old to meet modern fireproofing regulations. Or old bits of electrical and other equipment which can't be charitied for the same reasons. I'll keep looking at it. It does seem a lot of work otherwise i would volunteer to help Stiofan moderate one.
The Unladylike Ms. Jo Wednesday 1 November 2006 9.45pm
I can't see many advantages in having a Southwark-only site. If you want to get rid of stuff, surely its an advantage to have it more widely advertised. As for receiving stuff, if you are only prepared to travel to certain areas, then you can set up your email software to download only messages with certain postcodes (instructions available if you arenot sure how to do this). I suppose a more local site could be better for people who accessed it only via the web pages though.

I too have experienced quite a few inconsiderate people when offering items, but hang on in there, there's loads of really nice people around too.
java Friday 3 November 2006 5.10pm
Cheers for that LMJJ. I can't transport or pick anything up so it makes sense for me to go local. However i have just found a similar scheme via Southwark Council's website, at the url below

http://www.swapxchangesouthwark.org/

I'm still waiting for one of my takers to come and take the stuff away. He's not being very co-operative...oh well
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2

To post a message, you must be a registered user. If you are already registered, please log in.

Subscribe now

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,300+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum

Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions