Plumbers please!

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2
Current: 2 of 2
sarahmc Tuesday 31 October 2006 4.38pm
I too was surprised, as he came round to see the leak and put sealant on the tile and didn't even charge me.
It is not complicated, it involves hacking off some tiles above the taps, putting a piece of plywood on the wall to make it watertight, replacing tiles and putting new bath in. We will get and pay for the bath.
ROb has decided to have a go himself with another very capable neighbour helping.
Possel Thursday 2 November 2006 1.00pm
sarahmc wrote:
... it involves hacking off some tiles above the taps, putting a piece of plywood on the wall to make it watertight, replacing tiles and putting new bath in...

I must have missed something here. How does a piece of plywood help to make things watertight?
The Lady Miss Jo Jo Thursday 2 November 2006 1.20pm
Possel wrote:
How does a piece of plywood help to make things watertight?

Because they use watertight plywood!
spartacus Thursday 2 November 2006 3.41pm
It's known as WBP or Water and Boil Proof plywood. There's also a 'marine' ply - both are exterior grade and should be used to line showers.

Here endeth the plywood lesson.
JonR Friday 3 November 2006 12.47pm
don't you use tiles to line showers?

tile adhesive, tiles, grout, sealant - usually does the trick for me. Have never heard of using plywood.
spartacus Friday 3 November 2006 4.04pm
It is frequently used as a base for tiles in bathrooms in new build or conversions. Just because you've never heard of it doesn't mean it isn't done!
JonR Tuesday 7 November 2006 2.30pm
that's true - there are lots of things i've never heard of - and therefore i can't give you an example.
Clarkie Tuesday 7 November 2006 5.24pm
I've used Pimlico Plumbers and they are very reliable and did a good job. Not cheap mind!
Pages:  Previous1 2
Current: 2 of 2

To post a message, you must be a registered user. If you are already registered, please log in.

Subscribe now

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,300+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum

Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions