South Bank's new fake

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Friday 16 May 2003 6.50pm
Is it just me who thinks The Saatchi Gallery is nothing more than 40,000 sq.ft. of mediocre soft-mainstream art set in a 1990's rut ?

The Saatchi Gallery has received appaling reviews in all the main art journals - ( however, the Sunday press love it !). Why should we have to accept this pseudo-recluse who is obsessed about what people say about him, has a peputation for dishing out fivers to cash-starved art students and cannot sustain an intelligent conversation about art beyond the words " oh - so what ?"
MM
Saturday 17 May 2003 4.25pm
the problem I have with this gallery- indeed, most of the big-name galleries in central London- isn't so much the content, as the crowds. I suppose its a good thing that so many people are interested in art nowerdays, but I don't particularly want to look at exhibits whilst simultaniously fighting other visitors for floor-space. Its the same at Tate Modern, although I did go the other day, really early on a Sunday morning, when it first opened, and it was a bit better. When-ever I am in galleries on the continent, its never as bad as it is in London. The recent Modigliani exhibition in Milan, for example. 15 galleries of his very best works, and able to get right close up and personal with them, at 2pm on a Saturday.

-MM- The Nature of Monkey was Irrepressible.
Monday 19 May 2003 2.13pm
I went to the Art Deco exhibition at the V&A and could hardly move - one pretty well had to queue up to read each caption. But then, Britain is far too centralised, and one minor consequence of this is that its cultural assets are disproportionately concentrated in London. Of course, those of us who live in London -- in some cases partly for that very reason -- are actually beneficiaries of this state of affairs.
Monday 26 May 2003 2.11pm
Personally, I loved the Saatchi Gallery - although the building itself is part of the attraction. I loved the sense of discovery of going into a series of offices down the corridor and not knowing what I'd find inside. Although not your usual pristine white-walled gallery, it is a great space to view contemporary art.

One tip: If you don't want to part with 8.50, or aren't sure about contemporary art - then go and enjoy the building for free - there are quite a few works on display in the public spaces leading to the gallery proper (e.g. the main staircase).

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: