Dry cleaners

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Monday 30 October 2006 12.33pm
I handed in a load of clothes to my local drycleaners on Snowsfields -and an expensive designer dress has been 'mislaid'.
When I went back to ask about it they were incredibly unconcerned and invited me to look for myself; didn't help me at all. I was rummaging through piles of clothes on the floor and they said 'it won't be there -that's all from today'. Really nice way to look after your stuff!

Anyway, they haven't found it and I wondered if anyone had any experience of this and any suggestions. I have reported it and got a crime number. I know it's not a matter of life and death but I saved up for that dress and treasured it. What can I do?
Monday 30 October 2006 12.36pm
What does it say on your ticket/receipt and in the store regarding their liability?

Clearly, they have not provided the service that your contracted for (by not cleaning and losing the dress) and you could, therefore, sue them for breach of contract. Your damages would be the cost of buying the dress.

This costs very little if you go via the small claims court and you can even submit your claim form online.
Monday 30 October 2006 12.51pm
There are no signs up in the store about liability that I can see. Unfortunately the ticket got handed back to them and so I don't have any proof that I handed in 8 items and only got 7 back.

I guess it will come down to their word against mine but I'm quite determined to take it further.

Thanks for your help!
Monday 30 October 2006 1.02pm
Not having the ticket is going to be a serious problem, especially as it sounds as though the dry cleaners aren't going to simply own up.

Good luck!
Thursday 9 November 2006 11.10am
Just to let you all know that after sending State Express drycleaners a letter threatening court action and receiving a lot of abuse in return (including being told that I was a liar and would be taken to court for slander)they found the dress and returned it!

So, a happy ending eventually. They didn't apologise though.

Thanks to those of you who sent private messages regarding this.
Thursday 9 November 2006 11.29am
Good news.

You should tell them that you can't slander somebody in a letter, that would be libel!
Thursday 9 November 2006 11.45am
Yes well didn't think it was quite the time to be pointing that out...!

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: