Champor-Champor

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Monday 19 May 2003 10.39pm
was shortlisted for a Time Out Eating and Drinking Award for best vegetarian meal - it didn't win, but got a good write up.
Tuesday 20 May 2003 5.32pm
yeah their images on their website look really good- anybody bin in recently?
Friday 23 May 2003 9.19am
It's fantastic! I've been there three or four times, most recently in April and I can certainly recommend it. The food is out of this world and the place has great atmosphere, very intimate and relaxing - a definite must!!!
jac
Tuesday 27 May 2003 10.26am
A great restaurant but not the place if there are a group of you.

On recently trying to book a table for 8 they asked us if we could possibly make it just 6. Oh who not going to go then? As this wasn't an option they accepted our booking only to cancel it a couple of days before, leaving us with a frantic ring around to find somewhere who could accomadate us all.

Really Champor-champor this isn't good PR , why didn't you just politey decline our booking in the first place.
Wednesday 28 May 2003 9.37pm
I don't think that it is quite fair to say that we suggested that two of their group should not come - what we did say is that we only had a table for six. After some gentle persuasion from jac we did agree to squeeze eight people on, but in the end it was clear that it would not work out. We had not confirmed a time with her, and I thought it best to let her know earlier rather than later that we really wouldn't be able to sensibly accommodate eight people. That was, I think, three days before the evening in question, so it wasn't exactly 11th hour.

This is the first time that we have encountered such a problem since opening and I have extended our apologies to jac personally.

Incidentally, the whole problem arose in the first place because we had a group of 19 on that particular evening, so please don't be put off by jac's comments on Champor-Champor not being suitable for groups. Actually, we are very comfortable handling groups of 8-12 people, who always seem to have a good time.

Our main problem right now is that we are just too small for the demand. We are working on trying to get a bit bigger later this year...

Charles Tyler

jac
Thursday 29 May 2003 10.20am
Thank you champhor-champour for your explaination above and the email you sent me personally. I have to admit I thought the time was confirmed but accept I may have been mistaken.

Please don't get me wrong I love your little restaurant and I have recommended it to many people and would visit far more often myself if it wasn't for the cost of baby-sitters which limit the number of times we can eat out. I was however very dissapointed that you were not able to accomodate us last sauturday when I thought you had been able to squeeze us in. It was a special occassion and two of our group had traveled from cheshire and two from derbyshire, so they were looking forward to trying the resturant they had heard a lot about.

Anyway Good luck with you plans to expands.

Post edited (29 May 03 10:38)
Friday 30 May 2003 3.12pm
I had a lovely birthday meal with about 12 people - the staff were wonderful, the food incredible and i had a loverly time - thanks mr champor champor
Friday 30 May 2003 6.49pm
Went to Champor-Champor last night for my birthday dinner, just the two of us and it was marvellous. A lovely little gem on dingy Weston Street. The scallop starter I had was excellent, the scallops obviously very fresh and melted in the mouth. The ostrich main course was very tender and beautifully presented and they accomodated my food alergies with no problems, no complaint and very competantly. The goats milk ice-cream was surprsingly wonderful. Him indoors had the red snapper to start, and although it was nothing like he expected from the menu description it was beautiful, the thai green curry for main course was very good but overwhelmed by corriander he thought. His smoked banana pudding was unusual in texture and taste but wonderful with it, but the portion was simply too big! (is that really a complaint, i don`t know?) and we will be returning. Go before everyone knows about it and you can`t get a table!

Jo
Thursday 31 July 2003 2.38pm
went last night and had a truly amazing meal- this is an SE1 treasure and the word is spreading- they phoned us twice to check we were still coming due to demand.

the attention to detail is truly amazing from the beautious serving plates to the incredible food, all served with a smile.

Do all go- it's also good value for money I believe (my wonderful woman treated me this time- quite a gesture as I had forgotten our 3rd anniversary!)

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: