Would you report them?

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 3 Next
Current: 1 of 3
Tuesday 31 October 2006 10.54am
Hi

I have noticed down my street in SE1 that more and more handicapped badged cars are parking on yellow lines. I know for a fact that one of car users is not handicapped but using her Dad's car, I have my suspicions about another one.I have to pay to park near my house so why should they get away with doing this? I absolutely do not have a problem if people are genuinely handicapped but I don't like people taking advantage. The reason I'm writing this is because of the traffic jams that happen when people are double parked. It causes chaos!!

What would you do? Would you report them?
Tuesday 31 October 2006 12.14pm
Yes, yes I would if I were absolutely certain they are committing fraud.

Having said that, it is not always apparent why people have a blue disc. I have a friend who has AIDS but he's fine and has been for quite some time - he works, drives and leads a perfectly normal life apart from the massive amount of pills he has to take every day. Anyway, he has a blue badge but if you saw him get out of his car, you would have no idea that he was ill. Is he taking advantage of the system? A moot point!

Back to your post though, I would have no qualms in tipping off the relevant authorities if I had proof of misuse. Why should they get away wilth it?
Tuesday 31 October 2006 12.22pm
my parents have a blue badge due to my mum not being able to walk very far and have had 2 badges stolen - i gather there is a price of 100 for a badge. It makes my blood boil to think that people take advantage of what is a concession to the more needy in society in such a manner. I would report them if you re sure they are cheating but as Le Martnet says it is not always ovious as someone with a heart condition may have a badge but not be obviously disabled.
Tuesday 31 October 2006 5.26pm
report the fact that you think they may be abusing the system, then it's off your conscience, and it's for someone else to check to see if they realy are disabled, and elligable for badge use.
Tuesday 31 October 2006 5.45pm
La Martinet wrote:
Yes, yes I would if I were absolutely certain they are committing fraud.
Having said that, it is not always apparent why people have a blue disc. I have a friend who has AIDS but he's fine and has been for quite some time - he works, drives and leads a perfectly normal life apart from the massive amount of pills he has to take every day. Anyway, he has a blue badge but if you saw him get out of his car, you would have no idea that he was ill. Is he taking advantage of the system? A moot point!

To be honest, I think he is. I know several HIV positive people with disabled badges and freedom passes, whereas they are doing absolutely fine and are not in need of these facilities. They admit that these are 'perks' that they don't need but want to keep. That said, I would not report anyone- I hope that people realise themselves that this is not how it should be.
Tuesday 31 October 2006 7.24pm
I have a blue badge and sometimes we have to park on the yellow lines the other side of the street because of vans etc. parked outside our house, using the cafe along the road! We also pay for a residents street parking permit. As it's a public highway I can't ask them to move so we park opposite. I just wish the wardens would ticket the cars parked all day instead of waiting till almost six then serving a ticket on some poor visitor who pullsup at ten to six goes in to see their dad then come outside and find the car clamped 15 minutes later.
the girl who uses her dads car does he live in the street? does she take him everywhere etc.? and forgot to take the Badge out?
Tuesday 31 October 2006 8.01pm
Bermondsey Babe, you sound like a right curtain twitcher!

There are plenty of people who have hidden disabilities. Not everyone who is disabled has a wheelchair.

There are also lots of fluctuating conditions like HIV, heart disease and cancer. Someone might be fine one week, but the next week might be practically housebound.

Some people living with these conditions are quite rightly entitled to a blue badge or a freedom pass. I'm surprised that some people seem to resent this fact.

Maybe you shouldn't be so fast to pass judgment on others.

Also, I would point out that most disabled people would be offended by the term 'handicapped'. In a poll by the BBC it came in the top ten of offensive terms used to refer to disability. See:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/magazine/3708576.stm
Tuesday 31 October 2006 8.17pm
As already pointed out, many disabilities are quite hidden. Also the Blue Badge may legitimately be used by a non-badge-holder when taking the badge holder in their car. And there may be other reasons why all is not as it seems. But having said all that, I think I still would report people, because the people who abuse the badges often cause problems for the people who legitimately have them, or worse, for people who need them but dont have them. As Jon says, if the badge holder is legitimate, a simple check would confirm that, and would (I imagine) cause very little problem.
Thursday 2 November 2006 4.59pm
Mickeyboy

If you had actually read my message properly you would have seen that I said if it was a badge used for genuine and proper reasons I would NOT have a problem with it.
Oh, by the way, my sister is HANDICAPPED and she doesn't have a problem with THAT word and she has a blue badge but not a wheelchair!!

I don't think anyone is recenting the fact that someone has a blue badge its when people obuse them that we are peeved.

As I also said it causes havoc down my street when people park inconsideratly!!!

I'm not judgying anyone. I asked a civil question. Maybe you're one that uses a badge illegally!!!!!
Thursday 2 November 2006 6.47pm
I know of two people who have had their's stolen from the window screen of the car, may be they have been sold???
Pages:  1 2 3 Next
Current: 1 of 3

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: