Residential bridges

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2
Tuesday 31 October 2006 4.29pm
with such a scarcity for land in Central London why dont developers build residential homes on new bridges over the Thames, Londons bridges used to house thousands of its citizens
Tuesday 31 October 2006 5.09pm
Great idea! I am sure Lang Rabbie can find us nice picture of how London Bridge used to be: lot's of houses and shops. I would live on a bridge!
Tuesday 31 October 2006 5.18pm
but residential bridges block the views along the river for all the people crossing the river, or making use of the thames paths along it's edge.

Small flats within the bridge structures somehow, or maybe only one storey high, now that would be intersting.

also probably a big security threat/risk though.
Tuesday 31 October 2006 7.37pm
what about building residential bridges built just for this purpose - and the centre only for cycling or walking no cars

www.promomat.biz - affordable wooden dolls houses with furniture and dolls, pirate ships and educational board game. Been caught out with forged notes we have the solution Check-a-Note counterfeit money detector - we found it so effective that we decided to become resellers. Even used by the House of Lords!
Tuesday 31 October 2006 9.30pm
It's not a new idea. A few years ago Peabody proposed building such a bridge near Blackfriars Bridge.
Tuesday 31 October 2006 10.39pm
do you know why they did not go ahead with it?
Tuesday 31 October 2006 10.41pm
Can it really be ten years since the "Living Bridges" exhibition at the Royal Academy introduced Zaha Hadid's work to a mainstream audience in London!

It is! Exhibition Poster

Contemporary review from The Spectator
The catalogue can still be found on various bookselling websites.
Tuesday 31 October 2006 11.10pm
globalart4u wrote:
do you know why they did not go ahead with it?

I think I've now got the chronology straight - Peabody held an ideas competition back in 1995-96, but the suggested site was St Pauls Steps.

Once Tate Modern got the go-ahead this became the site of another competition (sponsored by the FT)for a footbridge that might actually get built. The result was Arup, Foster and Caro's "blade of light" design for the Millennium (aka Wobbly) Bridge.

Susequently Peabody have been looked at building an inhabited bridge over the River Lea - I think they may have lost the site because it was needed for the Olympic Park designs???
Wednesday 1 November 2006 12.22am
I must say that although as an idea its fab, I would not like the river filled up with bulky structures. Its our main open space in SE1 so please dont fill it up.
Wednesday 1 November 2006 1.32pm
I saw something about the River Lea plans. I seem to remember question marks about flood plains, but happy to defer to Rabbie.
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: