Little Dorrit Park: So annoying...

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Tuesday 31 October 2006 11.15pm
On Monday, Southwark Community wardens were closing the playground between Borough High Street and Redcross Way (near Cathedral School) at 3.30pm! Children came out of school at 3.15pm, and only had 10mn to play before they were forced to leave! What a ridiculous use of council property and services!

The Council told one of the parents that the opening hours had been decided 'after public consultation' and to prevent the premises to be used for drug dealing (which is rather strange since Mint Street Park is very near...). But the wardens told the parents that as they have to close a number of parks, and they seem to start with this particular park on their round.

grrrrr......

Froggy
Wednesday 1 November 2006 10.08am
froggy wrote:
The Council told one of the parents that the opening hours had been decided 'after public consultation' and to prevent the premises to be used for drug dealing (which is rather strange since Mint Street Park is very near...).

Can I get drugs in Mint St Park? Cheers for that.

...if you press it, they will come.
Wednesday 1 November 2006 11.19am
Bet you this is an "economy" measure...less wardens, less pay....
Wednesday 1 November 2006 4.09pm
Why dont the Wardens stay within the park for a while? then the ' drug ' users/ pushers may go elswhere and the little ones may play in peace?
Tuesday 7 November 2006 12.11pm
I was also in the park on Monday when we were asked to leave (30th Oct).
My boy goes to St Josephs and from reception onwards they do not come out of school until 3.45pm. Park already locked up.
The wardens gave me their managers number and I contacted him. He said that he had recieved a number of complaints from parents of the two schools and would be reviewing the parks closing time. On Friday, the South London Press ran the story and the council official was quoted as saying the park will not shut until 4.00pm. We were more than happy with this decission.
Yesturday, I took my son over after school and the wardens were shutting the gates again at 3.30pm and we were told that they had not been informed of any changes and we shouldn't believe all that is written in the press.
As for Mint Street, I walked through there last night with my children and was stopped and asked for money by a group of people who were very drunk and abusive when I said no.
Nice alternative by Southwark council.
Tuesday 7 November 2006 12.17pm
I think that the solution for MINT St Park is a cafe. By getting people in to the park and providing a (nice) place for people to hang out, you make it less welcoming for people to behave in an anti-social way. As long as it is dark and spooky you will get people hanging out pissed and annoying - even if you patrol all the time. But get it busy and then they will bugger off.

Making our streets safer through better coffee.

Would you like to go with me?
Where?
Wherever I'm going
Are you *really* asking?
Is that your *real* answer?
Tuesday 7 November 2006 12.25pm
I'm not sure what the sequence is, but the small park next to St. Georges is also closed at 3.30pm. There the wardens ensure that the park is cleared of street drinkers who have caused a lot of problems in the past on that particular patch. When the closure routine started it was always dictated by the timing of dusk, so I suppose it's just convenience that the playground is closed at the same time, as the wardens do their rounds.
Wednesday 15 November 2006 11.20pm
I think the cafe idea in mint street is a brilliant idea. It could be a nice area if only the council could see the logic. Unfortunatly, when it comes to logic, the council fail miserably. There will always be a problem with people who are drunk in the area....for those of you who remember the Bull ring (waterloo, Imax now) in the 80's and 90,s will know it was a no go area, but it was transformed because admittingley a few million pounds cinema was built but also the fact that it was light and busy and everyday people are passing through at all times.
Now I do agree Little Doritts should be locked up so this lovely park does not go the same way as Mint street.
The council manager when I called up told me that they have 7 parks to close on their round. The round starts from Redcross way and finishes at Burgess Park where they do not lock up the whole of the park, just the lake area, and their round finishes at 4.30pm as the council will not pay overtime. Now maybe I am not qualified in making a judgement but who exactly is sitting by the lake at 4.30 in the dark. Maybe, just maybe, they could start with Burgess park and work back. Only a suggestion.
Thursday 16 November 2006 7.47am
The wardens obviously live local to our area and want to go straight home after! Southwark council should be ashamed of themselves for restricting the use of the parks for small children, loads of little ones live in flats and coming out of school they want to whoop and holler letting off steam with out driving their mums mad behind four walls!
I think the council would rather restrict children using open spaces than dogs..
p.s. I love dogs and children!
Friday 17 November 2006 12.46pm
unfortunately, sunset times will soon be 15:40ish and wont ease off until late January.
So probably the council could have left the park open until 4pm for a few weeks longer.

But as long as they shut the parks before dark (which i think is helpful), i suppose shutting it a few weeks early is something we can live with.

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: