Pizzeria Castello

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2
Thursday 2 November 2006 5.37pm
Just as a little aside I've been told that Pizzeria Castello has now been closed permanently. I've been told that they won't open up again at the Elephant - their move will be to Tunbridge Wells. Apparently Castle House at the Elephant & Castle will be up for demolition 'soon' and everyone's leaving.

I was shocked!
Thursday 2 November 2006 6.45pm
There's a branch in Jamaica Road just outside SE1. Take the 188 bus from the elephant it will drop you off near by. Too good to be missed!!!
Thursday 2 November 2006 6.58pm
The Jamaica Road one isn't related to the former Elephant one, so I've read.
Thursday 2 November 2006 7.26pm
Pops is right too good to be missed....large place, weather permitting you can sit outside and drink...I think they are cousins ..the owners of both establishments..
Thursday 2 November 2006 11.18pm
This was posted by a "one post wonder" back in April 2004 - I assume it is true... Did we regulars scare her off or does she now post under a pseudonym?

Quote:
It is a common myth that Tony and Renzo are cousins or brothers! In actual fact they were partners at the Elephant and Castle for over twenty years; as the building at the Elephant is due to be demolished, Tony moved to Bermondsey on his own and Renzo did not agree with the idea. However, the menus of both Pizzeria Castello (Elephant) and Castello Restaurant (Bermondsey) are similar. as the original chef of the Pizzeria Castello moved to Bermondsey with Tony. As a fan of Castello's I wanted to set the record straight!!
Saturday 4 November 2006 11.07am
Thanks for the info on the Jamaica Road 'branch'. It's just a real shame to loose a good one that was so close (I'm just up by the Salvation Army Building) as it was just a 5 min walk. This was always a concern of mine that with the redevelopment we'd loose a lot of the good stuff as well as the bad!
Saturday 4 November 2006 6.16pm
That's the only decent restaurant in Elephant closed :-(
Sunday 5 November 2006 1.55pm
I WAST TOLD BY THE OWNER THAT HE HOPES TO OPEN A TAKEAWAY WITH DELIVERY SERVICE AT THE ELEPHANT IN THE NEW YEAR
Monday 6 November 2006 12.39pm
I am totally devastated by this news about the Pizzeria Castello closing! The best thing about the Elephant, the best pizza in the world and probably my favourite restaurant in the whole of London - gone! If this is what the regeneration and all the "consultation" means, then I'm deeply disappointed. Sure, we'll get Starbucks and Gap and if we're really really lucky in 15 years we might have a tram!!! Meanwhile the developers and "consultants" line their pockets. Talk about throwing the baby out with the bathwater. Oh well, good luck to all the PC guys and thanks for many, many happy evenings.
Tuesday 7 November 2006 10.06am
dave t wrote:
I WAST TOLD BY THE OWNER THAT HE HOPES TO OPEN A TAKEAWAY WITH DELIVERY SERVICE AT THE ELEPHANT IN THE NEW YEAR

I hope that's true. It's always been the best one round here. Just a shame that there won't be a restaurant!

Prety devastated here too.
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: