Buying game in SE1

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Sunday 5 November 2006 6.47pm
Anyone know of a butcher that stocks pheasant, rabbit, venison, etc? Just in small household quantities - not wholesale or anything!
Sunday 5 November 2006 9.09pm
Try some of the butchers in Borough Market. One of them has loads of game for sale.
Sunday 5 November 2006 10.39pm
furness fish and game borough market, open thurs, fri and sat
no connection, just a satisfied customer!
Monday 6 November 2006 10.03pm
I always thought the market would be a bit expensive for game, but I could give it a try.

I've never liked the venison place since the man there told me off for over-handling the packs in the chiller, as the vacuum packs aren't made from thick enough plastic to stop the bones piercing them, apparently. (Well whose fault is that?)

However I've always liked the look of Furness, so I may give them a try. Thanks for the suggestion :)
Monday 6 November 2006 10.37pm
Does Ashby's still have a retail counter in SE1 or are they now only supplying the restaurant trade from that site?

Even if you have to visit the Leadenhall market shop and schlep back with the spoils, it might still be cheaper than some of the Borough Market stalls!

R S Ashby Ltd
22 Crimscott St
London, SE1 5TE

020 7231 4568

That great provider of recipes for pheasant to this forum, Mapmaker, used to swear by them as a source for game birds.

Just reading their new sausage list makes my mouth water...
Tuesday 7 November 2006 12.20pm
You can still buy meat from ashbys in SE1 though it doesn't have a counter. I usually phone them first with an order. Their shop in Leadenhall closed some time ago.
Tuesday 7 November 2006 2.42pm
i saw this thread and was pleasantly surprised when i actually read its contents.
I had imagined it would either be another rant about not being able to afford the huge prices of property here in SE1, as a first time buyer, or some kind of SE1 based monopoly type board game coming onto the market in time for Christmas.

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: