Local open spaces still not ready?

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Saturday 24 May 2003 11.04am
As I was walking down Weston Street for the first time in some months, I saw that Guy Street Park was partly closed again - apparently to relay the concrete footpaths.

Are the Pool of London Partnership the bad guys?

Is it just my jaded cynicism, or have all the PLP funded projects suffered from poor project management and a distinct lack of a "right first time" approach to quality. (see previous postings about Tooley Street improvements).

Looking at the project details on their website
http://www.pooloflondon.co.uk/regeneration/showproject.php?environment=9 I'm not sure if it's PLP's fault or just that they are giving money to organisations (eg. London Borough of Southwark) that are trying to keep too many regeneration balls in the air at once.

Any views from a local in the Abbey Street neck of the woods on how the "Beormund Environs Scheme" has been managed?

Has Southwark really agreed to take on maintenance responsibilities to keep all these locations in decent condition, and ensure that there is a rapid response to all vandalism/graffiti so that none of them spiral back down again?

Post edited (02 Jun 03 20:47)
Monday 2 June 2003 10.45am
We were interested to see Lang Rabbie's concerns about Guy Street Park and other Pool of London funded projects, whose comments have been noted.

We were also disappointed to see the park close again last week, however parts of the path needed relaying to avoid puddling. The park is now well used and The Friends of Guy Street Park have been established to take responsibility for the community garden and will be holding further events in the park on a regular basis. I suggest you see their web site for ways in which you can get involved in the park, should you so wish- www.guystreetpark.com.

Martha Covell, Project Assistant, Pool of London Partnership
Monday 2 June 2003 8.55pm
It's good to see that the Forum gets noticed - I've amended my earlier post to remove the title reference to PLP as the bad guys.

But it would be really useful to get some up to date information on progress on all the projects and currently anticipated completion dates. Great chunks of SE1 are building site at the moment, it would be reassuring if we could be confident that publicly funded projects won't get left in the same not quite finished state as some of the economically straitened private developments - prolonging the inconvenience for local residents and workers.

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: