Cross River Tram

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ...LastNext
Current: 1 of 22
Monday 6 November 2006 10.57am
just got the leaflet through the door, but i can't find the intended route. might be my morning eyes and brain, but does anyone have an idea, where this thing is supposed to run? (other than between euston and waterloo) maybe a little more precise?

thanks
schnake
Monday 6 November 2006 11.00am
It will come over Waterloo Bridge and divide at Baylis Road, with the Peckham branch continuing down Waterloo Road to the Elephant and the Brixton branch taking Baylis Road and Kennington Road.

For those who haven't seen the leaflet yet, the exhibitions are at the National Theatre 24/25 November:
http://www.london-se1.co.uk/whatson/event/1246

and the E&C 1/2 December:
http://www.london-se1.co.uk/whatson/event/1247

Editor of the London SE1 website.
Subscribe to our SE1 Direct weekly newsletter.
Monday 6 November 2006 12.12pm
thanks james.
Monday 6 November 2006 2.43pm
Am I the only one who thinks the tram proposals are mad? We need to invest any transport money in the existing underground network that we already have. Our roads are already congested and people are starting to complain about bus congestion in some bottleneck areas. This is a commercially driven proposal and as usual we need to examine which tram manufacturers and transport infrastructure companies are lobbying for these things. Using better computing systems and spending on signaling and staff could possibly DOUBLE the number of tube trains servicing London, we need less buses, no bendy buses at all, no trams, but MORE tube trains, and more lines to areas not covered yet.
Wednesday 8 November 2006 11.36pm
There is a PDF map here:
http://www.crossriverpartnership.org/downloaddoc.asp?skin=1&page=1236&id=641
but it is a couple of years old and the precise route is still up for negotiation in several areas.

Thursday 9 November 2006 7.36am
It does seem inherently silly to have the whole northern route of the tram going slap bang alongside the route of the Tube stations. South of the River I appreciate that the route to Peckham is useful, but that could be started at, say, Waterloo, not Camden. Then, (personal interest here as an ex-Camberwellian) again, the fork of the tram going to Brixton, via Stockwell, goes to places which have the Tube. Camberwell is nicely left off the map AGAIN.Why? It's as good a route to Peckham as any.
Thursday 9 November 2006 8.26am
An old scheme document on TfL's website dating from 2000 gives a range of objectives for the scheme (see http://www.tfl.gov.uk/tfl/pdfdocs/crossriver.pdf).

I quote: "the Cross River Transit project ...(as it then was - before trams were chosen)... stems from the formation of the Cross River Partnership, whose aim is to regenerate the south side of the river Thames in central London. As a means of achieving this aim, the Cross River Partnership developed a transport strategy for the area which included the construction of an intermediate mode scheme ...(higher quality bus or tram)... between Waterloo and Euston stations. However, later development work by the Partnership has resulted in the corridor served by this project being extended both to the north and the south in order to provide congestion relief to sections of the Underground in central London as well improved accessibility to areas of inner London such as Peckham and Camden Town."
Sunday 12 November 2006 7.34pm
jackie rokotnitz wrote:
It does seem inherently silly to have the whole northern route of the tram going slap bang alongside the route of the Tube stations.

I think part of the idea is to relieve congestion on this very busy section of the northern line.

jackie rokotnitz wrote:
Then, (personal interest here as an ex-Camberwellian) again, the fork of the tram going to Brixton, via Stockwell, goes to places which have the Tube. Camberwell is nicely left off the map AGAIN.Why?

I completely agree - Camberwell seems to be the black hole of public transport: no mainline train station, tube or tram. There is a possibility of a phase 2 heading to Camberwell but like a station on the Thameslink line or extending the bakerloo line southwards these are long-term plans.

jackie rokotnitz wrote:
It's as good a route to Peckham as any.

Many people have significant problems with routing the tram through Burgess Park.

All told I am really looking forward to work being started and I really hope they can finish it well before the projected deadline of ... 2016!! (How on earth can it take that long?!)
Monday 13 November 2006 7.44am
Gosh, I've got a problem running a tram through Burgess Park. But what's wrong with a)the Walworth Road b)Kennington Park Road and Camberwell New Road, c)Going straight on at the Oval and down Camberwell New Road? The Thames Link station in Camberwell has been idle for years, although it's there and currently used by South London Buses. Peckham has Peckham Rye and Queens Road, Loughborough Junction is alive and well, why not poor old Camberwell? And I'm told, by the way, that the tunnel from Oval to Camberwell, which was used as a tube train siding, is THERE, and needs only to be lengthened by a bit to Camberwell Green.
Friday 24 November 2006 9.35am
*bump*

Exhibition/consultation today and tomorrow from midday at the National Theatre
http://www.london-se1.co.uk/whatson/event/1246

(E&C same time next week)

Pages:  1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ...LastNext
Current: 1 of 22

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: