Kids and the Tube

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Monday 26 May 2003 8.22am
Just a few comments on the Tube after reading jac's concerns about his son using the Tube when starting secondary school in September.Whilst out and about on my travels in London 2 years ago, from my base at County Hall, I was at King's Cross Underground, en route to London Bridge, - on my own, with 4 children. In the rush to get on the tube, my then 11 year old son got left on the platform, after the doors had closed. There was a lull of about 5 seconds, whereby I was madly trying to press the button inside the tube, at the side of the door, for them to open, but they failed to do so. I shouted through the door to my son to wait on the platform for me to return, but he started crying hysterically, as I sped off down the line.My distress worsened, when the train just went straight through Angel, meaning that I had to wait until the next stop, before making my way back.
It was a nightmare, but to my amazement, my son told me that a member of the Underground staff immediately approached him and took him to the Control Room, where he saw other stations on the televisions.He watched me stuck at the other station panicking like mad. The staff gave him a drink and reassured him until I got back. The moral of the tale is that there is some good out there on the London Transport, but the kids themselves need to know what to do in all situations when in London. ie trying to keep calm, mobiles (remembering to charge them up !!), avoiding dodgy types, trying to find a member of staff etc. I go through all these scenarios with the kids and am amazed at how streetwise they can be taught to be !!! - Hope this helps jac !!
Monday 26 May 2003 8.31pm
Thanks for your encouraging story, Barbara.

I am pleased to be able to state that I have found people in London to be polite and helpful and friendly towards myself and my children.

I keep meaning to write to Mayor Ken to say thanks!

Please pop over to chatter - I would like to ask if I am mad to be moving to Beckton instead of County Hall this August for our London break.
jac
Tuesday 27 May 2003 9.18am
Thanks for your encouraging words barbara

I must say I am glad I have only had to struggle with 2 kids on the tube on my own 4 must be very tricky. We already have a plan if we get seperated getting on or off the tube. As this happened to me on a day trip to London when I was a child.

I am happy that my son is relatively safe on the tube. Im just wondering how he will get to grips with finding alternaive routes when the inevitable signal failures, security alerts and station closure occur. I have seen many an adult trying to get to grip with the underground map! and various different lines.

But I will take heart from your experience and get him to find a member of staff and hope that he finds a helpful one like yours encountered.
Tuesday 27 May 2003 8.48pm
Make sure he's got an A-Z in his school bag at all times - it's a godsend when the tubes go down.

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: