20 mile an hour zone

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 3 Next
Current: 1 of 3
Friday 10 November 2006 12.57pm
I am all for road safety but this is stupid. It is proposed to turn the whole area from Jamaica Road to Tower Bridge Road into a 20 mile per hour zone so in addition to having to pay spiraling charges to park outside our own houses since the congestion charge came in, and the congestion charge, we will now be watched and fined for accidentally going over 20 mph.
More congestion and more fines!
protest to London Borough of Southwark,
Infrastructure Group,
(Ikenna Akubueze)
Freepost SE1919/14
London
SE17 1RY before November 29th

On the subject of road safety it would be more helpful if they could stop the Police driving at high speed the wrong way down Neckinger (supposedly a one way street) several times a week.
Friday 10 November 2006 1.40pm
It is Southwark Council's aim to introduce 20mph zones throughout the borough by 2009/10 (except for red routes which TfL is in charge of). They are on target to be the first '20mph Borough' in the country.

See their road safety plan: http://www.southwark.gov.uk/Uploads/File_15272.pdf

Some stats from that report:

- a study found that 20mph zones reduced collisions by 60%
- only 5% of pedestrians hit at 20mph die - 45% of pedestrians hit at 30mph die

You can be in favour of or opposed to Southwark's plans (I strongly support them myself) but you have to acknowledge that it is completely lead by safety considerations rather than any desire to drive up income through fines. (After all if people obey the new rules, which is the aim, there will be no extra fines.)
Friday 10 November 2006 2.14pm
OK, in that case while we are at it, let's follow the German model and make jay walking illegal instead. Cars can't hit pedestrians at any speed if they cross roads sensibly.
Germany has the best record for pedestrian safety in Europe.
They also have the autobahn.

I mostly walk in Southwark but I also drive and many people cross the roads with no care at all (especially on New Kent road by the Elephant)and it's very hard NOT to hit them (not that I have yet and I do not speed) but no one expects them to have any responsibilty at all for their actions. What happened to the Green Cross Man?

There is no road initiative in London which is not aimed at raising revenue.
Friday 10 November 2006 2.56pm
I agree that improving pedestrian behaviour needs to be part of any Road Safety Plan (and Southwark's plan covers aspects of this) - but it's not an either / or ... we can and should do both.

I just can't agree with you about this being a revenue-raising measure though. So long as compliance with the speed limit remains the same this will raise no extra revenue whatsoever. Besides it's clear from their published plan that this is being driven by safety concerns.
Friday 10 November 2006 2.56pm
I think the problem with these initiatives is more to do with their heavy handed implementation. 20 mph is an admirable and worthwhile speed limit on residential local streets such as the majority in this plan, and outside schools. Abbey Street though is a major road between two red route so why is it included? 30 mph would be fine in my opinion.
Even worse there is no proposal to have 20mph limits outside the existing schools in Grange Road/Soutwark Park Road. There is still a concrete island in the middle of Grange Road near Crimscott Street that has led to most of the serious accidents I have seen in this road. As for that ridiculous short bus lane in Grange Road containing one bus every 15 mins, don't get me started...................... The sad fact is that many traffic policies seem to be drawn up by people who don't, or can't, drive!
Anonymous User
Friday 10 November 2006 3.08pm
There is a 20 limit outside the school on Grange Road but not the one on Southwark Park Road a little further down
Friday 10 November 2006 3.17pm
It is not thought out and will lead to more congestion- then they can expand the congestion charging area again and poverty tax more working people out of London.

30mph is fine except on roads where there are schools or hospitals when different arrangements should be made on a case by case basis.

It seems to me that Neil works for Southwark. You seem to know a lot about a plan I've only just heard of although I live in the middle of it.
Friday 10 November 2006 3.19pm
Seeing as Neil is so hot on Southwarks road safety concerns, whom do I contact about the Police cars that keep driving at high speed the wrong way down our one way street?
Friday 10 November 2006 3.19pm
Davies wrote:
... a plan I've only just heard of although I live in the middle of it.
It's an idea that's been swirling around for some time.

http://www.london-se1.co.uk/news/view/1177

There was a similar thread on this forum more than two years ago:
http://www.london-se1.co.uk/forum/read/1/25495

Editor of the London SE1 website.
Subscribe to our SE1 Direct weekly newsletter.
Friday 10 November 2006 3.27pm
I'm a local and a plan with a form asking for comments dropped through my mailbox today. Trouble is when the majority of local people (within the zone or around it's edge) and businesses consulted against the introduction of the congestion charge Ken ignored us anyway. Although government departments trumpet "consultation" they don't publicise fully the facts from such consultations or guarantee to act on all or even part of them.
Pages:  1 2 3 Next
Current: 1 of 3

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: