Ken's tax on older or second hand cars

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2
Tuesday 14 November 2006 7.36pm
The proposals to charge 25 congestion charge fee (or 6000 per year if you are inside the zone) for cars which are in band G for CO2 emissions is trumpeted by Ken as hitting the rich buyers of expensive "Chelsea Tractors" I have a well used 6 year old boring estate car, 250 G/Km for CO2, well into the new tax threshold. How green will it be for myself and thousands of others to have to sell perfectly good vehicles and buy new fuel efficient ones? How much energy to make a new car? Many older family cars as well will be above this threshold and many of us have to work in central London with a car full of tools or business goods, we don't drive them for fun. Not all of us work in such generously remunerated areas as do civil servants like Ken so don't change our cars every couple of years! If Ken doesn't exempt already owned cars he is taxing a whole slew of self employed traders or forcing them to go to the expense of trading their cars in for a more expensive model well before their existing cars are past their sell by date. I honestly think Ken's idea is for a London as theme town for the tourists and no-one should actually work here at all unless they are government or council employees. Please Ken show that you understand the smallest thing about REAL world economics and just apply the tax to cars purchased after a certain date.
Tuesday 14 November 2006 10.04pm
Well, I'm sorry but what do you expect. I've never voted for Ken but so many of you did. Now you reap back what you sow.
Perhaps next time he is up for election in the mayoral elections, you should think before putting your x on the ballot paper.
Tuesday 14 November 2006 11.34pm
I'm afraid you are under the amazing misconception that I would have voted for anyone connected with the late unlamented GLC. Sadly many people did vote that direction, but the way the population of London is divided up for mayoral voting purposes practically ensures a Ken win. If only the voters of London included those who work in or own businesses in London and contribute hugely to the income of London then what a different result there would be.
Wednesday 15 November 2006 7.30am
This is a real shocker...practically the price of a new second hand car per YEAR. I would sell my car except no one wants to buy it. And I have to have some sort of vehicle because of my ninety year old parents who just cant get on the tube or lift anything much.Even getting on the bus is quite hard for them. Bloody hell...Ken has really got the bit between his teeth.
Wednesday 15 November 2006 9.04am
according to the BBC yesterday it will only apply to cars registered after March 2006 so will encourage people to buy older cars but i have not seen this mentioned elsewhere
Wednesday 15 November 2006 2.36pm
I don't know ANYONE who voted for Ken.

I too am very worried as cannot possibly afford tens of thousands of pounds for an eviromentally friendly car, have never been able to afford more than 300 for a car in my life, and often need one to carry stuff for work.

Also, in spite of Kens best efforts, worked out over a year it's still cheaper to drive a banger than take the tube - if I had had to use public transport to get to work last year I'd have had to jack in my job because I wouldn't have been able to afford to get to it.
Wednesday 15 November 2006 2.56pm
Not absolutely sure of the position but the CO2 ratings on the DVLA site only run from 2001 when the bands were introduced for car tax. I am in the same position as Jerry, except my car is even older, so there is no CO2 rating for it.

Any clarification welcome
Wednesday 15 November 2006 3.37pm
Davies wrote:
Also, in spite of Kens best efforts, worked out over a year it's still cheaper to drive a banger than take the tube - if I had had to use public transport to get to work last year I'd have had to jack in my job because I wouldn't have been able to afford to get to it.

How do you work that out? It's only 888 for an annual travelcard for zones 1 - 2. According to the RAC, the annual average cost of fuel is 1112. Then there's tax (100+?), insurance (couple of hundred?), congestion charge (8 per day), parking... In fact, the congestion charge alone makes it more expensive to drive into central London, surely?
Anonymous User
Wednesday 15 November 2006 3.45pm
Not counting the annual MOT and subsequent work that needs doing to maintain roadworthiness of old bangers.
Wednesday 15 November 2006 3.51pm
not if you live in the zone already as 90% discount.
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: