Artesian building on Spa Park

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 Next
Current: 1 of 10
Wednesday 15 November 2006 2.44pm
I'm confused about this.

I thought that the reason permission to build on part of Spa Park was granted was for Hyde Housing Association to provide affordable housing for local working people. Now I've just been directed by a Google Advert on this site to

where Hyde are selling luxury flats in this development for over 300,000.

How is this affordable?
Wednesday 15 November 2006 2.48pm
In addition, that is the park I was mugged in by a guy with a meatcleaver a few months ago, and the last time I went past (drove past because of this) after dark the park lights still weren't working months after the mugging and after I had complained to the Council about them.

Buyer beware.
Wednesday 15 November 2006 3.18pm
A certain percentage of flats are designated as affordable (approximately 30 per cent from memory) and the ones that you are seeing for sale on the web site are the private flats which are, in my view, pretty good value given the London market at the moment.

I totally agree that having lights installed in the park and then not turning them on is complete idiocy, especially when it gets dark so early at this time of year. Who did you complain to?

Wednesday 15 November 2006 4.00pm
Chris - I noticed that the lights were not working the other day too. Does anyone know who we rais ethis to? I assume the 'environment' helpdesk at Southwark council? My last experience of using them was great - I emailed them to collect an old fridge and they came next day, for free !
Wednesday 15 November 2006 4.36pm
JGarcia - I have emailed after looking at this page However, from the description of street lighting on the page, I am not sure this covers lighting in parks!

Perhaps somebody could give them a call as this always tends to get a quicker response?

Thursday 16 November 2006 2.06pm
To warn buyers because of an isolated though hugely regrettable incident is unfair. Spa Park is a wonderful addition to a diverse area.

It is no more dangerous than most mixed urban areas and I would highly recommend it to any prospective buyers if they want to live in a stimulating and largely peaceful environment.
Thursday 16 November 2006 5.03pm
Ruudgull - I agree, I don't think it is dangerous, and the park is lovely, we just want to sort the lights out at night as it makes it even more usable.
Thursday 16 November 2006 9.54pm
Well feel free to walk through it after dark if you happen to be a small female Ruudgull and Jgarcia. Be sure to take disposible cash though is my advice.
Oh and the impression I got from the Police was not so much "isolated" as "routine".
But you know best I'm sure.
Thursday 16 November 2006 11.51pm
I wouldn't ever walk through any park after dark, no matter how well lit. Why would anyone walk through Spa Park after dark anyway? It's not exactly a shortcut to anywhere.
Friday 17 November 2006 2.35pm
Walking through badly lit or unlit areas in London, especially a park, has always been a 'no no'. It a shame that we cannot just wonder the streets freely, but with some basic precautions, Southwark is as safe as anywhere.

Pages:  1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 Next
Current: 1 of 10

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: