Tabard/Empire Square supermarket

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 Next
Current: 1 of 8
Wednesday 15 November 2006 5.08pm
I have it on good authority the supermarket at Tabard/Empire Square will be an M&S Simply Food
Wednesday 15 November 2006 8.20pm
We had been told here it was going to be a Tesco. Are you sure?
Thursday 16 November 2006 10.37am
"Empire Square" !!

hahhhaa!! Really - is that what it is called? Wow. It must be a Very Important Place then. Oh, I do love this kind of local re-branding ... this one is almost as good as "London South Central".

Almost. :o)

Would you like to go with me?
Where?
Wherever I'm going
Are you *really* asking?
Is that your *real* answer?
Thursday 16 November 2006 10.57am
I am not sure why the change has happened. Tabard Square was quite an historic name and as it is next to Tabard Street it makes sense.
Anyway it is definately M&S. Promise!
Thursday 16 November 2006 11.09am
I don't think the whole thing is branded as Empire Square - isn't it just the serviced apartments on Tabard Street, and possibly the key worker housing that has that name?

The main Berkeley Homes building and Square is still Tabard Square AIUI.

Earlier in the year I asked someone from Berkeley Homes about the two names and they had never heard of Empire Square and had no idea what I was talking about.

Editor of the London SE1 website.
Subscribe to our SE1 Direct weekly newsletter.
Thursday 16 November 2006 11.19am
Heard Tesco had Bermondey Sq but there was all sorts of wrangling over Tabard Sq due to the parking allocation and at least one supermarket said they would not go ahead if no more parking allocated. M&S would be better than yet another Tesco
Thursday 16 November 2006 12.46pm
M&S definitely better than Tesco, but there is already one at London Bridge - and M&S is limited selection. Would love to see a Waitrose there.
Thursday 16 November 2006 2.24pm
Two M&S in the London Bridge area already - one in the station and one at More London. Seems surprising they want to add a THIRD one!
Thursday 16 November 2006 6.06pm
As it's in 'Empire Square' I think it should be called the M&S Emporium.
After it won't be just food, it will be M&S food.

emporium
noun {C} plural emporia or emporiums OLD-FASHIONED
a large shop selling a large range of goods, or a shop selling a particular type of goods.
Thursday 16 November 2006 9.26pm
Well said phoney, although an M&S would be nice - their food ads really bug me.

(cue cheesy Musak) "...this is not just an ordinary square, this is an authentic urban square, handpicked by the plumpest property developers and enrobed with the sweetest estate-agent's suger-coating. It is a Marks and Spensquare.." (etc etc..)

Would you like to go with me?
Where?
Wherever I'm going
Are you *really* asking?
Is that your *real* answer?
Pages:  1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 Next
Current: 1 of 8

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: