Southwark Street crossing near Bear Lane

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2
Tuesday 21 November 2006 9.50am
Is anyone else annoyed by this? They put in lights some time ago to change the old zebra crossing into a pelican crossing, but then they painted over the zebra crossing without turning on the lights for the pelican. The resulting zeblican crossing is useless and not only that, because there is confusion amongst drivers about if they should stop or not (presumably they are no longer obliged to) it is downright dangerous. Last week I saw cars going both ways stop, but then motorbikes kept on going through, almost hitting some people crossing the road. I know that there are places to cross at the lights further along the road, but surely it would not have been too much trouble to coordinate painting over the zebra crossing with turning on the lights...
Tuesday 21 November 2006 4.31pm
I'm with you on this. The crossing / no-longer a crossing(!) is a death-trap.
Tuesday 21 November 2006 4.41pm
I cross there twice a day and what they have done is just plain stupid particulalry given the amount of people who use the crossing daily. I am never sure who is responsible for lights and roads anymore so who we should complain to-is it the council or TFL?
Thursday 30 November 2006 2.58pm
This may be old news but I went past this afternoon and the new lights are now working but the old beacons from the zebra crossing haven't been removed entirely.

Editor of the London SE1 website.
Subscribe to our SE1 Direct weekly newsletter.
Thursday 30 November 2006 3.47pm
yes it is working but it takes an age for the lights to change
Thursday 30 November 2006 5.21pm
the funny thing about Southwark Street, is that you used to be able to cross the road easily, drive down it easily and given the need, park on it easily. Since the planners have been let loose on it, none these options are available.
Thursday 30 November 2006 6.16pm
Yes - I found it took a long time for the lights to change.

I don't know what the safety statistics are for pelican v zebra crossings, but it certainly takes longer to cross that bit of Southwark Street than it did before.

Editor of the London SE1 website.
Subscribe to our SE1 Direct weekly newsletter.
Thursday 30 November 2006 6.54pm
James, I crossed half new kent road ( on the crossing!) just under 7 seconds it gives good if your unsteady and of mature years, or trying to hold a little ones hand and push a pram....the mighty motor car has preference everywhere it seems..
Thursday 30 November 2006 9.33pm
pelican/puffin crossings are far safer - at zebra's people just walk into the road assuming that traffic will stop for them (which it should, but sometimes doesn't).
Friday 1 December 2006 9.45am
With zebra crossings in London cars don't stop very often unless you take at least a reasonably agressive attitude as a pedestrian, which is why people walk into the road - if you don't, or at least if you don't look like you are going to, then many drivers do not stop.

Since the new pelican crossing has been in I have used it with the green man three or four times but crossed the road (in the same place) in the traditional green cross code fashion about eight times. It seems like the timer on it is not properly in phase with the junctions, as there is generally a gap in the traffic resulting from the junction traffic lights before the timer on the crossing kicks in.
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: