Simon the Tanner is shut again

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 3 4 Next
Current: 1 of 4
Tuesday 21 November 2006 1.39pm
Does anyone know what is happening with the pub now?
Tuesday 21 November 2006 4.20pm
this pub should be called The Jack in the Box...now you see it....
Jac
Friday 5 October 2007 1.54pm
Just noticed in the southwark news that, there is a planning application for Simon the tanner, for "internal alterations to the floor plans including removal of parttions, extension at first floor level to facilitate the provision of two flats, alteration of one window opening at second floor level to a door to provide access to a new roof terrace." Ref 07-AP-2005

I for one will object to this grade II listed building being turned into flats as I think we have more than enough flats and not enough large family accomadtion in this part of the borough. Also once it flats that will guarentte the pub will never open again and yet another pub is turned into flats.
Friday 5 October 2007 5.14pm
I agree Jac - every petrol station, every listed pub can be sold for a fat profit to turn into 'rabbit hutches' as Boris calls them.

If it is allowed to continue we will have another Canary Wharf - shiny but soulless.

I for one do not like the idea of that!
Friday 5 October 2007 10.14pm
I take the point here, but I don't think there's much risk of Borough becoming another Canary Wharf. It would be great to see Simon the Tanner revived as a pub, but we can't realistically expect all the defunct pubs on Long Lane to be reopened as pubs, can we?
Monday 8 October 2007 9.27am
Does Simon the Tanner arouse such emotion because it USED to be such a nice pub?

Jac, are they putting flats in on the top two floors, but maintaining the pub underneath?
Jac
Monday 8 October 2007 10.00am
I haven't seen the plans yet but I think it is for flats on the top two floors. However I think if that gets the go ahead then it is only a matter fo time before an application to turn the pub into a falt will be put in.

Mapmaker you are right it did used to be a great pub and I believe That it was deliberately run into the ground, as this occured once there was oppostion to the building being turned into flats above and the planning was turned down. Clearly the owner of the buliding doent want to give up on that. I am sure with its close proximity to bermondsey street and otehr major developments and the fact that it is a nice bulding I am sure it could be a great pub again if the will was there. As for otehr defunct pubs on long lane I think Valentines on the otherhand is probably a lost cause and always has been to my mind. That is one pub that would be better off as flats and I believe that at a resent council meeting Southwark who own the freehold were predicted to vote for selling the freehold.
Monday 8 October 2007 10.39am
I *thought* that Southwark had sold the f/h of Valentine's some time ago.
Monday 8 October 2007 10.51am
Why has it been so hard to make StT into a successful business? Always a mystery to me, it was so nice.
Monday 8 October 2007 11.41am
jackie rokotnitz wrote:
Why has it been so hard to make StT into a successful business? Always a mystery to me, it was so nice.

I guess that even if the pub had been a relative success, the profits could not compete with the earning potential made possible by a burgeoning local property market.
Pages:  1 2 3 4 Next
Current: 1 of 4

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: