SE1 much safer than dodgy North London

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Wednesday 22 November 2006 11.20am
I had my bike stolen last night by some scumbag villains in Clerkenwell. I don't know how they did it (proper secure lock plus cable etc...), but upon leaving said hostelry I returned to see bits of broken lock and empty space where bike should have been. Worst of all, it wasn't even late - about 9.30pm!!

I know that our own South London has a general reputation for extremes of villainy and stone-hearted wickedness - but perhaps the streets of SE1 are (relatively) safer than we think...

Would you like to go with me?
Where?
Wherever I'm going
Are you *really* asking?
Is that your *real* answer?
Wednesday 22 November 2006 11.46am
Well, we moved here a couple of months ago from Walthamstow (admittedly, 'The Village' which is a very lovely section about 1/2 a square mile!) and although our car was parked behind locked gates there and is now parked on the road, the insurance went down by 40 / year when we moved, so happy about that!
Wednesday 22 November 2006 4.03pm
Without wishing to tempt fate, my experience of SE1, and specifically Bermondsey, has been very positive. Not once have I had any problems or even witnessed any anti-social behavior (not that it doesn't happen, of couse).

I am sure many people will disagree with me, and it may be that this is a problem which will manifest itself in the next few years, but there is not a 'haves' and 'have nots' culture where I live. Everybody seems to get on just fine. This, I suspect, would be different in Clerkenwell where the 'haves' are tucked away in new designer flats and don't integrate with their community very much.

Chris
Wednesday 22 November 2006 5.09pm
we've had our car broken into once (they didn't knick anything as we don't keep anything in there), and we've had the spare wheel stolen (it's under the car, not inside the car), but our flat has never been broken into. The chap who owned the place before us must have been broken into, as he had very secure locks, and an alarm system installed, and for a second floor flat that's quite impressive!

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: