Tanner Street Park tennis courts

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2
Wednesday 4 June 2003 10.31am

Had a great knockabout on the the Tanner Street Park tennis courts yesterday, but it was pretty busy. I was just wondering - does anyone know whether it's the Travelodge Hotel who have taken over the fourth court, and if so, when it will be back in use?

Also, someone took a bit of a fall on one of the courts last night as they were slippery with gravel. Are there any plans that anyone knows about to update/maintain the courts?

I have to say that it certainly is lovely having an open space in the area where you can play the game, for free - a real pleasure - just be nice if they were a little better kept, and not encroached on by development!
Wednesday 4 June 2003 1.47pm
The Park itself is under re-development. As far as I know, there are no plans to resurface or paint the courts, which is a shame (although they're really in not that bad a shape). I do understand that they're going to place new fencing around the courts, explaining the temporary fencing. I'm not aware the 4th court though.

Wednesday 4 June 2003 3.58pm
Sophie, with a name like McAdam you should know someone in
the re-surfacing field.
Wednesday 4 June 2003 4.50pm
ah, that's the first time anyone's ever been able to make a resurfacing joke about my surname. very good.

jai, agree they're not in too bad shape. are there any threads/info which outline the plans?
Friday 6 June 2003 4.09pm
I thought that they were going to resurface the courts actually. But could be making it up.
Hope they finish all the work in the park soon, its taken them long enough so far..
Monday 9 June 2003 3.00pm
So the next question is, who is up for setting up a Tennis Ladder? I've just moved to the area and i'm keen to play, its been a while since i last played so it wont be Wimbledon standard but if anyone wants a game leave a message and i'll get back to you.

Wednesday 9 July 2003 1.10pm

Does anyone know if we have to book the tennis courts? If so, can anyone help me on how I go about it?

Saturday 12 July 2003 8.39am

The tennis courts in Tanner Street part are a free local amenity. There is no booking system so getting on a court really depends on when you get there or when others run out of steam.

Other than the replacement of the fencing, the courts themselves are not included in the current renovation programme. I believe that a bid may be made for 'Sport England' funding to upgrade the courts and that would include the renovation of the small pavillion in the south east corner of the park. That structure could become a cafe/changing facility. I imagine that, if such a bid is made, it will be two or three years before anything happens.

If you want other free tennis courts, take a trip to the Walworth Road end of Burgess Park, adjacent to Addington Sq. You'll find another 4 or 6 courts there.

Niall Connolly
Monday 14 July 2003 1.23pm
Perhaps we could lob(by) for some of the 2m planning gain money from the Bermondsey Square development to be spent resurfacing the courts. We had a public commitment from the Head of Regeneration that the money would be spent locally.

Ref the ladder: once the notice board is re-erected there should be no problem with a simple system going up.
Wednesday 16 July 2003 10.59am

Thanks for your help, I was under the impression they were free but didn't want to make that assumption and look rude!

Anyone for tennis?!

Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: