Metro Central Heights

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Sunday 26 November 2006 5.38pm
Hi everyone,

I am looking to buy (my first apartment ever!) in MCH in the next few months. This forum has been really helpful-- it seems like, at the very least, I'll have some friendly neighbours!!

Could anyone take a moment and post their favourite/least-favourite parts of living at MHC? And any tips for a first-time buyer?

Thank you so much-- I promise to have a moving-in drinks event at mine, um, once I have a 'mine' to invite you to! :-)

~Julie

[split from this thread from 2005 to avoid confusion]
Sunday 26 November 2006 6.22pm
Oh well julie, if you put it that way...well I live in MCH as you may know from the Forum. It's very convenient, that I will say, bang on the tube and the buses, and it's very secure too. Impossible to break in. THe service charges are very very high, and the flats are not particularly big, although they are all different. You have to choose carefully your floor and the way you face and so on. Lots of young people (I'm not one of them).
Monday 27 November 2006 1.48pm
Hi Julie,
There is a previous thread you should look at, which I started when I was looking to buy last year (I did).
18 months on I am much wiser about MCH and I would say the following.
On the upside:
If you want convenient then this is the place- I don't like the tube, and the bus routes round here are amazing. This morning I was up with the lark, hopped on a bus to kings cross to get my train and was there in a bit less than 20 mins.
Although the shopping centre takes some getting used to, it has everything you need- Woolies, WHsmith, Tesco, Boots, and a Peacocks!
The flats which have not been done up have great potential. I had great fun stripping mine and starting again and now it looks unrecognisable.
The concierge desk is very good because the staff are friendly and helpful and they will keep parcels for you- this was a godsend when I first moved in and was at work and new furniture etc was arriving every day.
You do feel safe living there. The cctv, and also having a body at the front desk makes it v secure. I was single when I bought it and often coming in from work very late but its proximity to public transport and the fact it is always busy out there is brilliant.
There is at least some outdoor space which is rare for a block of flats in zone 1- my husband and I were out there drinking Pimms by the pond in the summer.
The gym has all new equipment in it.
The building is currently having a face lift and our side of the courtyard has been painted and looks fantastic- when the whole block is done it will look really smart. (although the contractors did break one of our windows and not even tell us- but thats a different story).
Gary the building manager who I think on the whole has the best interests of the block and it's residents at heart, is always polite and has accomplished so much more than his useless predecessor.
With the imminent regeneration you are quite likely to make a nice profit if you get in soon.

On the downside:
The windows- metal. Not good. Condensation in winter can be a problem and sometimes we've had to mop up water from window ledge and floor.
Peverel the managing agent who charge a fair whack and rarely, if ever have the decency and courtesy to reply to correspondence.
They are also hand in glove with St George which is why we are having another block shoehorned into our carpark. Greedy b******s.
Storage heaters in inconvenient places- I ripped mine out and got underfloor heating- much better.
I looked at a lot of flats before I bought, and if you plan on living there yourself I personally would not buy one on a low floor overlooking the front- miserable and traffic noise from Wetherspoons delivery lorries and street noise, or anywhere at the back of the East block which has the miserable vista of a carpark, railway line, depressing estates and now, the building site which will be disturbing people at the back especially for the next 2 years.
Thats not to say that once the Regeneration of Elephant kicks in the view won't improve, but I would not want to look out on that for the next 2 years or so.
The courtyard facing flats are much more peaceful and the view nicer.
Other than that, it really is a great and really friendly place to live.
We need more owner occupiers to become active on the Committee and give us more of a voice against Peverel.
Phew- hands are tired now!
Hope this is useful
Sarah

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: