Is there one decent bike shop in SE1?

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 Next
Current: 4 of 6
Andrew H Saturday 4 July 2009 2.39pm
I too have had a bad experience at Recycle, Elephant Road. They have partly put it right, but they have still managed to make me feel aggrieved and a very dissatisfied customer.

My bike was in for a service, and was stolen from inside their shop. It's not clear how this happened, but I assume someone paid my bill as a way of getting a cheap bike. It doesn't quite make sense.

Anyway they initially offered me 50 off any bike in the shop (50 was the repair bill), but I politely said no way was I paying anything at all for their error. They then offered me a replacement new bike, worth 150, with a one month service, which I was happy with. I do sympathise to a certain extent because they have also been ripped off too by the thief, and they say it has never happened before. On the other hand, it seems that their systems appear to have allowed the opportunity for the theft.

My bike also had light brackets, cup holder, lock brackets and a rear rack, all of which I have had to replace at my own expense (from a different source). This cost me around 75, considerably more than the 50 I was prepared to pay for the original service on the stolen bike.

I took all these replacement parts to the shop and asked the Manager if under the circumstances they would fit them under the one month service, or as a good will gesture, but she would not. It would be the standard 7.50 charge. I was polite and asked if they think it it is fair that I will have paid more than 30 for their error. Manager is very focussed on her own loss of 150 (the cost of the bike they gave me), and seems to feel that by replacing the bike itself they have done more than enough.

In the end I decided to pay the stupid 7.50 charge, and at least get them to do the work, but I will be writing to them to ask for a refund of the costs of getting the bike back to how its predecessor was before.

It would have so easy for them to do the work for free, and morally it would have been the right thing. As it is, they have left me feeling greedy and ungrateful.
Frank H Tuesday 31 January 2012 4.26pm
I had problems with my gears and brakes. So I took my bike to VeloDro on a Thurs eve and could pick it up Fri eve and I must say I was really impressed by the service and the price... They fixed my brakes and gears all for 30.00 in just one day. The best deal I've had from any bike shop in SE1..... Try them....!
mzungu Friday 10 February 2012 11.03am
For bike repairs done by a g8 people trying to run a small business go no further than.

Druid Cycles
18A Druid Street, Southwark
London, SE1 2EY
MichaelWalker Monday 20 February 2012 6.40pm
Hi

I had my bike serviced recently at Velodro which is on Tower Bridge Road and just opened recently. They did a great job and the price was v reasonable compared to other local shops (Evans, On Your Bike). They event went the extra mile to help out a problem I've been having with one of my bike lights. Small touches like that really make a difference.

I recommend them highly.

http://www.velodro.com/
southwarkSimon Monday 5 March 2012 11.08am
Can also add my recommendation for Velodro on Tower Bridge Road. Took my bike in for a service on Friday and picked it up this morning. Very reasonable price and the work was finished to a very high standard. I will definitely be using them again. Keep up the good work guys !
juanita Monday 5 March 2012 4.41pm
Thanks for the recommendations. Now that spring is almost upon us, I was thinking of getting my bike serviced & start cycling again.
Guy's street Tuesday 6 March 2012 11.27am
I had my bike serviced at Balfes Bikes on Kennington Road last week. Very quick, replaced a few parts that were becoming rather worn and even took the time to straighten by bent handlebar caused by a collision with a wall on a particularly slppy day last year.
Gavin Smith Tuesday 6 March 2012 12.38pm
Robinsons on Jamaica Road (though SE16 is it only just outside SE1) does excellent repairs at very competitive prices. I have taken my bike to him many times.
Zoe Wednesday 7 March 2012 7.19pm
I went into the cycle shop on Hatfields this evening and they were lovely, and very quick.

They didn't mock me for a rather silly thing that I'd done and just fixed the problem!! I've always found them to be very nice and always willing to explain what's wrong. They are expensive though, but seem very good.
thor Wednesday 7 March 2012 9.25pm
Druid Cycles is a Community Interest Company and none for profit organisation at 18 Druid Street, SE1 2EY. We offer same day repairs for decent prices 9 (lowest in Southwark) and we build customized 2nd hand vintage bikes to order. Why dont give us a try the next time around?
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 Next
Current: 4 of 6

To post a message, you must be a registered user. If you are already registered, please log in.

Subscribe now

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,300+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum

Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions