Racism in Bermondsey area

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 Next
Current: 1 of 11
Tuesday 28 November 2006 1.32pm
Hi SE1ers,

I am a freelance journalist working on a story about the racist graffiti, stickers and abuse that is a fact of life in the Bermondsey area.

If you're a local resident/work in the area, and would be willing to give talk about this, then I want to hear from you.

I can conduct interviews over the phone or by email if preferred, and your name does not have to appear in print.

Just reply to this thread or email me at jess.mccabe@gmail.com to get in touch.

Jess
Tuesday 28 November 2006 6.42pm
I have never seen it. No doubt it exists, but is amplified manyfold by race hustlers.
Tuesday 28 November 2006 8.39pm
What's a race hustler?
Tuesday 28 November 2006 10.02pm
Are you just covering Bermondsey?
Tuesday 28 November 2006 10.38pm
if it is a 'fact of life' you will problem find it.

If it is a fiction, ...let's hope you don't make up stuff to fit the 'facts' .
Wednesday 29 November 2006 7.22am
Well my elder daughter was called a ' white pussy whore' by some black workman because she remonstrated with him about him tossing a canned drink all over feet....but my daughter has an acid tongue when upset...he looked a burk when she had finished with him, does that count as a racist incident?
Wednesday 29 November 2006 9.53am
I've seen plenty of BNP stickers around Bermondsey, more SE16 than SE1 but still Bermondsey.

A couple of years ago the National Front/BNP held a series of demonstrations gatherinng outside South Bemondsey train station - obvioulsy trying to capitalise on the supposed repuation of nearby Millwall FC. During one of these demos me and the missus were walking past Bermondsey tube station and a few anti-BNP demonstrators (white) came out of the tube to be greeted by a large group of people (also white) from the estate behind the tube station and were told in no uncertain terms to get back on the tub, as they weren't welcome in the area. Rather scarey.

Oh yeah, and my wife who is Japanese, has gets name calling from various scum in the streets in and around Bermondsey.
Wednesday 29 November 2006 2.03pm
Fact of life? I think thats a bit of a stretch...surely?
Friday 1 December 2006 12.36pm
More of a "fact of life" than anywhere else? Why pick on Bermondsey? Are you sure you are not going to make a few carefully chosen comments from interviews fit your pre-conceived notions?
Friday 1 December 2006 12.46pm
Well, I'm sure that it is a problem elsewhere, it just happens that this is the area I am focusing on - because of the history of the area in regards to the BNP/National Front.

The story is an assessment of where things stand now in an area with a long and troubled history - and is not going to be moulded to fit any pre-conceived notions!
Pages:  1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 Next
Current: 1 of 11

This thread has been closed

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

Proud to belong to

Independent Community News Network