Tuesday 10 June 2003 1.32pm
This may be of interest - From the minutes of Lambeth Council
North Lambeth Area Committee
WATERLOO STREETS DRINKING CONTROL AREA
Peter Sheppard, Streetcare Manager, addressed the Committee.
Peter referred to the circulated map that outlined the preferred area for the introduction of a Drinking Control Area in Waterloo, pursuant to powers contained in chapter 2 of the Criminal Justice and Police Act 2001.
The Act did not cover licensed premises or registered clubs; ...etc.
Members made the following points:
• Officers should consider the provision of a safe drinking area where street drinkers could consume alcohol free from harassment by the authorities. A similar scheme operated in Vauxhall.
• Officers should liaise with St Mungos to help street drinkers.
• Displacement would be a problem for surrounding areas, particularly Vauxhall.
In response officers made the following points:
• The success of the scheme depended on the involvement and support of the Police.
• The Brixton Town Centre controlled drinking zone had been introduced without the support of the local police and under bye law legislation.
• The police and Street Care were already working closely with the St Mungos on this and related matters.
• Displacement would be a sign that the scheme had been successful. But any new areas of concern would be reviewed with members and the police.
The Leader of the Council, Cllr Peter Truesdale
, stated that the Council needed to do everything it could to help the street drinkers in terms of rehabilitation but also had to ensure that the lives of local residents were not further blighted by the anti social behaviour of street drinking. He added that displacement would be a sign that the scheme had been successful.
That the report be noted.