Wedding dress shop - Ah! Help!

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2
Thursday 30 November 2006 4.57pm
Can anyone recommend a local wedding dress shop in the area? I'm getting married (yay) but this means I need to find a frock. Which fills me with terror as, being almost 6ft tall, I'm not a girl who can just grab anything off the rack, also my Mum is visiting next weekend and I'm sure she'd love to go shopping. The problem is, the places I have found are appointment only and one was fully booked on Saturdays untill January! I'm not in a rush, I just want to have a look and try a few things on to get ideas. Any suggestions in SE1? I suppose I could venture futher, but there be dragons!
Thursday 30 November 2006 5.20pm

I had the same problem on height when I got married being a strapping 6 footer but I managed to find a dressmaker who worked from pictures I showed her of dresses I liked and this worked out a lot cheaper than a shop bought dress. Perhaps this could be a good alternative if anyone can recommend a dress maker?
Thursday 30 November 2006 5.53pm
is the wedding shop still open walworth road opposite manor place almost?
Thursday 30 November 2006 6.44pm
Yes, London Bride and Groom on Walworth Road are absolutely brilliant. (Opposite McDonalds).
I got married in August and got my dress and the three bridesmaids dresses there. The ladies in there are very very helpful, and the dresses you try on at your appointment are just samples- they can order you a different size and they do alterations.
I looked at Debenhams, John Lewis (I think), House of Fraser and Jenny Packham, but London Bride and Groom had a great selection and they just can't do enough for you- they're a lovely bunch of ladies. They also do menswear hire downstairs.
Good luck!
And remember that all bridal shops have an appointments system otherwise you can't try them on, and LBG get very busy!
Thursday 30 November 2006 9.35pm
they sell wedding atire in ASDA now i believe (or at least they were intending to, i don't know if they actually started to or not).

that doesn't really help much, sorry.
Friday 1 December 2006 9.35am
I noticed one shop yesterday under the arches at London bridge station, by the taxi ramp.
Friday 1 December 2006 10.55am
I visited 2 shops in Shad Thames when looking for my wedding dress.

Ring o Roses on Maguire St (near the design museum), which has a wide selection by different designers, and a small store at the bottom of the Circle run by one designer callled Annette Carey.

Both have websites so you can have a look at styles before you go in.

Good luck with your plans!
Friday 1 December 2006 12.00pm
Hi Thanks for all the suggestions. I tried Ring O'Roses, and I'm 2nd on the waiting list for an appoinment - is it always this busy or does the time of year make a difference do you think? I don't really want to have to commit myself several weeks in advance. Oh well. London Bride and Groom look like they could be good, I'll give them a try, and I'd forgetton about that shop at London bridge so I'll have a look there too.

Dee Dee, it's very reassuring to know that I'm not the ony one with these problems! Was your dressmaker in the area?

JonR - I'm just not sure that I can bring myself to get an Asda wedding dress! Though actulaly it's not as silly as I first thought, if they do a little page boy outfit it might be worth a look.
Monday 11 December 2006 10.03am
I'm sure many people have been happy with the service that Ring O Roses offers, but a word of caution: An acquaintance had real problems with Ring O Roses a few years back (not this branch, mind) wherein they made her pretty much pay for her dress up front (before any alterations). When she went for fittings (for which she had to make an appointment), the staff were rude and dismissive. The seamstress at that branch did not finish the dress properly and when she complained they brought out a dress in a completely different colour and insisted that that was hers. In the end, she ended up having to buy an off-the-peg dress only a matter of days before the wedding (bearing in mind she started trying to buy the dress about a year beforehand), which was nowhere near her dream dress, from another shop. She ended up having to sue Ring O Roses for the money that she had already spent with them and then fight an appeal when the company didn't like the first judge's decision (which was in her favour). She won eventually, but only after a wedding day where she wasn't wearing the right dress and enduring having to fight court cases for a year or so afterwards.

Do not sign any document asking you to pay for the whole thing before it is provided to you in the state in which you want it to be. A deposit is all very well, but any shop that asks for payment in full when it is inevitable that alterations will need to be done is not one which would ever get my money. Independent seamstresses are usually cheaper and also usually immeasurably better.
Monday 11 December 2006 12.17pm
There is a nice looking wedding shop in Churton (Churlton) St in Pimlico SW1.

No idea if they require appointments. Good luck!
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: