Roadworks in the middle of the night

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Thursday 7 December 2006 8.17am
I am being woken up / kept away by some noisy road works just off the Imax roundabout - I think around the Stamford Street exit / on Stamford Street. Last night they were still going strong at 00.30 when I finally fell asleep. The previous night I was awoken at 3.30am!

Does anyone know the legality of carrying out non-emergency roadworks at such antisocial hours? I realise this is not a primarily residential area, but how do these things work?

Thanks.
Thursday 7 December 2006 4.10pm
Hi Jane

If it is not emergency work it is not allowed!! Construction work of any kind can be done between the hours of 8am-6pm Mon- Fri, 8am-1pm Saturday and not at all on a Sunday.

I don't know if it is illegal but you need to ring the Southwark noise team immediatly they make a noise. They can get it stopped! You can also report the company after the fact.
Southwark Noise Team 020 75255777. They're very helpful.
Hope you get a decent nights sleep soon.
Thursday 7 December 2006 4.26pm
I think the position is a bit more complicated if these are roadworks rather than straighforward building construction.

If the works are on a RedRoute, Transport for London is in charge. If the works are not on a Red Route, the works are subject to the policy of the local borough (presumably Southwark).

If the works are on Stamford Street, this is a Red Route and under TFL's control.

There are powers for TFL to carry out roadworks at night, but they are supposed to balance the need for the roadworks to be carried out at a time which does not impact traffic against the disruption to local residents.

If such an order has been made, I'm not sure Southwark have the power to do anything about it. However, I agree with Karen that a call to the Southwark Noise team is still a good plan.

Have you also tried looking at the Road Works Register ?

http://www.southwark.gov.uk/streetworksfolder/streetworks.htm
Thursday 7 December 2006 4.28pm
Bear in mind that the section of Stamford Street that JaneS is referring to is in the borough of Lambeth.

Editor of the London SE1 website.
Subscribe to our SE1 Direct weekly newsletter.
Monday 11 December 2006 2.25pm
Well good luck dealing with the Lambeth Noise Team, Jane! A few months ago I contacted them about construction noise at night. They took a few days to get back to me (I had to chase them) and a Dr Ali Peyvandi told me he had to actually witness the noise before he could enforce. He said office hours were 9-5. Of course I asked how I could contact him when I heard the noise at 2-3am and he just said the office was closed then!! He said "hopefully the noise will stop soon".

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: