Vinopolis - Bar Blue... ouch

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Sunday 10 December 2006 8.58am
Call me silly but...
Yesterday, seeking to take my mother somewhere marginally less crowded before her trip to the Globe, we popped into Bar Blu in Vinopolis.
We asked for one small and one large glass of shiraz. The waiter said he'd bring it over. When I opened the bill it was 16.88. The small glass cost 6.50, the large 8.50. They'd added 12.5% 'discretionary' service charge. The wine was Clairvaux. At this rate I'll have to stop drinking. I'm getting the bill framed.
Sunday 10 December 2006 12.23pm
oof! enough to make you choke on your wine!

Would you like to go with me?
Where?
Wherever I'm going
Are you *really* asking?
Is that your *real* answer?
Sunday 10 December 2006 9.10pm
That is absolutely outrageous, I nearly choked just reading your post, how can they justify that price!
Sunday 10 December 2006 11.52pm
They must have some cheaper Shiraz's than that! My guess is they cheekily served you the most expensive drop without consulting you. Tsk! Nice bar though....
Monday 11 December 2006 7.43am
blimey, thats pretty steep...glad i dont drink wine very often..only because i don't know very much about it and providing it makes me feel merry i'll drink white with red meat etc....a peasant aint i! How much is a bottle of Clairvaux?
JQL
Monday 11 December 2006 11.00am
If it is the one from South Africa then it is about 8...that mark-up is pretty steep, even for vinopolis which has always been overpriced and disappointing.
Monday 11 December 2006 11.08am
JQL wrote:
If it is the one from South Africa then it is about 8...that mark-up is pretty steep, even for vinopolis which has always been overpriced and disappointing.

That is something I would agree with. If you go to Wine Wharf they do have some really good wines, but it always seems a little over-priced.

I have eaten in the Restaurant a few times - always (fortunately) as the guest of someone else's expense account, but that has never been particularly good and always pricey. On the other hand I do like the wine shop (and the new whisky shop too).

Would you like to go with me?
Where?
Wherever I'm going
Are you *really* asking?
Is that your *real* answer?
JQL
Monday 11 December 2006 11.25am
Would agree that the whiskey shop is excellent and my nose is getting redder by the month due to excess consumption. However, the restaurant has never failed to disappoint which is a real shame.

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: