3am boozing at Chicken Sizzler

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Tuesday 12 December 2006 5.45pm
Chicken Sizzler (Nee Cottage) on Tooley Street have just made an application to serve alcohol until 3am. This is despite them operating without planning permission and no takeaway license.

If you are minded to object to the inevitable hassle and disturbance then please follow the link below.

Tuesday 12 December 2006 10.07pm
Thanks for bringing this up.

Chicken Cottage - the most woeful addition to Tooley Street in recent years...until the owners opened up a mini Chicken Cottage between London Dungeon and London Bridge station, that is.

Creates litter, attracts moody hoodies, stinks, looks shite with its illuminated signs and now blocks half the pavement with its billboard for pizzas at 1.99. And now want to serve booze until 3am for 4 days a week. Great!

Tuesday 12 December 2006 11.21pm
I'm not seeing an application to serve alcohol there, only late night refreshment - that is, an application to serve hot food and hot drinks after 11pm. This is still objectionable but nowhere near so bad as applying to serve alcohol.
Tuesday 12 December 2006 11.28pm
i have objected. What a cheeky application. There is already a nasty feeling around there at night...maybe we need to wait for the stabbings and then rescind it.
Wednesday 13 December 2006 12.19am

Recinding a license is not so easy any more. In the past the police only had to object and the licensing committee would listen. Now the license is permanent till there is evidence to say that conditions are being breached.

If it is a license to serve alcohol and you are concerned, you should object. Plus suggest any conditions that you feel should be imposed. (Music, noise, times, litter or whatever.) Also if there are problems now, start complaining, eg to the noise officer, so a track record of concern is built up.

It sounds very NIMBY, but a year or so back I was involved in a similar campaign near a property I rent out, where an outlet had become a pretty blatent centre for drug dealing. The owner actually posted the names and addresses of objectors on his window, so my elderly neighbour was frightened to object. As I did not live there I felt I could be more visible. The local Councillor was brilliant and agreed to speak on our behalf at the Committee. Once the lawyer saw the evidence lined up, she withdrew the application, and the problems of late night loitering, noise and intimidation have gone.

If there is a potential problem and you speak up, you will also be speaking on behalf of people who dont know how the system works, or who are not confident enough to do so.

Wednesday 13 December 2006 10.09am
If I was against this I would strongly advise you write to the managing partners and the HR managers of the two law firms that are moving in across the road. I am sure they will be less than delighted to learn that the chicken shack across the road from them now wants to sell ale all night long. I suspect Norton Rose and Lawrence Graham have some rather decent property lawyers who might be able to assist this cause.

As an aside - I hope the businesses going into the terraces beside more London are going to be rather more conducive to the area.
Wednesday 13 December 2006 1.01pm
Sarah is right, it's very difficult to oppose licence applications. You should start ringing the noice nuisance team now, so they have some evidence. You should also speak to your councillors, who are pretty good and will provide assitance.

Make sure you oppose on the four grounds allowed, and get as many people as possible to write in.

If they are in breach of planning rules, ring planning, as they will take action.

Good luck
Wednesday 13 December 2006 3.55pm
'nother point.

If the outlet is already a problem the Council licensing people probably do not want to grant a license. However they will want evidence of local opposition ideally giving them grounds to turn it down.

A good starting point is speaking to them. If they are feeling helpful they may give some good advice. If you are really keen you could try the local police, to see if they are inclined to oppose. The licensing people should have a contact.

Monday 18 December 2006 6.06pm
Regarding paths being blocked;

people often think this is trivial but access for elderly people and those with pushchairs etc. is a nightmare when streets are blocked

And, frankly, it creates ab air of business just taking the p^$s out of the local people - I want to put a sign on the pavement, so I'm going to put a sign on the pavement.

Would you let someone put one outside your front door? Try contacting Daryl Wilkinson at Southwark Council re pavement obstruction, he was in post in May of this year.

If your area is seeing increased litter and anti-social behaviour, then you can consider contacting Living Streets.

That said, there's a Chicken Cottage near where I live (Borough High Street) and though the frontage is ugly as hell, I can't say I've any problems with them at all - only a small amount of litter at the local bustop and the local kids keep it busy buying chips. They seem to get a lot of drive past trade - if I'm at a bus stop, cars pull over and go in to get food. They don't serve alcohol though.
Friday 22 December 2006 1.02pm
I have received an email from Chicken Cottage Limited pointing out that they have no connection with the fried chicken shop(s) in Tooley Street any more, the franchise having been cancelled in July 2006.

Editor of the London SE1 website.
Subscribe to our SE1 Direct weekly newsletter.

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: