Richard II at the Globe

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Wednesday 11 June 2003 11.14pm
There doesn't seem to be room in the reviews to add comments, so I'm writing here (hope this is OK Ed?)

I just want to encourage everyone to go and see Richard II, or something at the Globe this year. I've recently seen it and enjoyed it enormously.

Their ticket sales are down on last year (what with world-wide uncertainties) so there is a better chance than usual for locals to pop in for a fiver as a groundling (standing ticket and the best spot in the house). And Mark Rylance has said that if you don't like it you can leave without embarrasment without having lost much!

As for Richard II - Mark Rylance is superb as usual - and the whole cast is very strong. My personal favourite is Liam Brennan as Bolingbroke - a really interesting, but not obvious character.

PS I don't work for the Globe, but did join the Friends - those of us who live within Southwark get the reduced rate.

Thursday 12 June 2003 11.46pm
Hi Rachel

Is the friends of the Globe discounted if you live in the area? I had been thinking of joining, time to get friendly with the neighbours over the road from me..... How much does it cost for a year do you know? I guess I should go in and ask....

Thursday 12 June 2003 11.51pm
Saturday 14 June 2003 11.16pm
Hi John,

If you are a Southwark resident, Equity Member, UK student, UB40 holders and senior citizens the concessionary rate is only 13 per year - which gets you 10% discount in the bookshop, 2 concessionary tickets (sitting down) and the "Around the Globe" magazine.

This weekend is "Sam's Weekend", and there were free (for everyone not just Friends) workshops this morning, and more tomorrow morning from 10-1 (some 1 hour long, some drop in when you feel like it - e.g. the one on on Swords and Swordplay). Tomorrow's includes voice and movement. It's a pity that although Sam's weekend has been advertised well in advance, to find out what workshops were on you had to turn up on the day.

I saw Dido Queen of Carthage today - which is very very different from Richard II - set in a 60s children's playground, with a huge metal slide and climbing frame taking up the stage. It took a bit of getting into (it's a small cast - and some of the early doubling was a bit confusing, and it would help to know your mythology to understand the Gods at the start- worth reading the programme notes I think) But it got stronger as it went on - actually it took off as soon as Will Keen as Aeneas took centre stage - full of guilt/anguish/passion/shock relating the fall of Troy. Rakie Ayola as Dido was also very strong.

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: