Tyers Gate Bottle Bank

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Thursday 21 December 2006 4.14pm
This went awol a few weeks ago. At first I suspected (as you do) it was a result of a youthful indiscretion, and that it would find its way home in a few days.

But its been weeks now, and the gap has been filled with a second newspaper bin. Indeed, there is even a notice advising that leaving bottles will be considered 'fly tipping'!!!

So much for recycling my bottles, i now just toss them in the street bin and let the council deal with them.

Does anybody know what happened to it?

Seems strange that with so many of our politicians converting to environmentalism - and preaching their gospel with calls for increased taxes - such a grass roots solution to pollution, energy saving and reducing the need for landfill sites is pulled out from under us.
Friday 22 December 2006 9.31am
I've been a frequent user of the bottle bank at Tyers Gate - until it was removed! I can imagine it was quite noisy for those living next to it.
Zoe
Friday 22 December 2006 1.16pm
Ring Southwark Environmental on 020 7525 2000, they will be able to tell you why it's gone. Our's disappered, and it had been taken by a pub on the Lambeth side of the road, and we never got it back. Southwark gave us a new one in the end.
Friday 22 December 2006 2.00pm
It's gone because it was causing major noise nuisance for residents as local business were recycling glass after midnight as were inconsiderate locals often using it aroung 11pm even though there were notices asking them not to use it after 9pm. As the facility was on a private estate the residents thought it unfair for their private estate to be used by the public at unsociable hours. One must agree.

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

Proud to belong to

Independent Community News Network