Old Kent Road SE1

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 3 Next
Current: 1 of 3
Wednesday 3 January 2007 1.46pm
I am a young professional and have recently moved to London from Ireland, I am looking for a flat to buy. I had a look at Old Kent Rd, it seems nice and not over priced. I have heard that its not the nicest place but can anyone give me any information at all on the area? Anything would be greatly appreciated as a safe place to live is top of the list for me.
Thank you very much in advance.
Wednesday 3 January 2007 3.15pm
This story is a good overview:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/comment/story/0,3604,1451483,00.html

In answer to your question, I would feel perfectly happy living on the OKR, but you obviously need to take precautions. Some people will tell you that the OKR is 'notorious' and there are occasional shootings, but, in my view, this is part of living in an exciting part of a world city.

Have you thought about renting for a few months before taking the plunge and buying?

The Tesco OKR re-development proposal, if it gets the go ahead, and the Cross-River Tram, if it takes the route through Burgess Park, are both likely to have a positive impact on values.

If you send me a Private Message with an idea of your budget, I may be able to help more.

Chris
Wednesday 3 January 2007 4.34pm
i live just off OKR, behind Tesco, and i think it's great!
Lots of buses for quick transport into central London (and tube at Elephant and Castle), a quick easy walk to SE1 central london places like Tower Bridge, Borough High st, London Bridge, Waterloo etc.

Great!

and nice friendly people on this forum too.
Wednesday 3 January 2007 6.12pm
it's still cheap, which is rare these days near zone 1...
Thursday 4 January 2007 11.22am
I live on the Old Kent Rd and have never had any problems. The shootings are not at randem strangers, and are usually linked, as most shootings are. That's not meant to say they are not bad!
I really like it, it's diversity and the links (as already mentioned) to everywhere else. there are some good food places and good bars locally too. And what with the area being redeveloped, prices will continue to rise.
Thursday 4 January 2007 12.20pm
Take the plunge and buy asap...the prices will rocket in a couple of years. It's great as a location and will only get better. The Elephant regeneration project will spill over into the OKR and you'll be right there in the middle of the buzz. We LOVE being around here, lots of character, lots of diversity, great shopping, good pubs and restaurants, near to everything and most of all the lovely SE1 gang who make the whole thing fun and friendly.
Thursday 4 January 2007 3.03pm
Hutch - where are the good bars locally on OKR??

please do tell!
Friday 5 January 2007 11.19am
JonR, unfortunately none on the OKR at present. I meant locally as in down Bermondsey St - the Garrison & Wool Pack, I also like Hartleys on Tower Br Rd, - for a great sunday Lunch. There's one on Tooley St as well that is nice now, and Borough High St is only 10mins away with a few good places.
You got any recommendations? I think it will only be a matter of time (well a few yrs) before the OKR gets somewhere nice.
There is a really good north African restaurant though on the OKR. They do great tagines.
Friday 5 January 2007 2.36pm
I think the OKR is a very wise choice for buying a flat in London. It is a short commute from The City, the West End and Canary Wharf and still has affordable prices.

Since I moved to the area in 2001, the street has been tidied up, new shops and cafes have opened and dilapidated buildings have been refurbished. It's not a street of Starbucks and Pret a Manger s but the 7 or 8 bus routes can soon take you to places which have those.

As for safety, I try to avoid walking home late with my laptop from work, but then I avoided doing that when I lived in North London. I think the comments above on safety are fair.
Monday 8 January 2007 4.18am
Old Kent Road has imprved significantly and will continue to do so, though unfortunately it looks likely to remain a tube wasteland for another half century.

However one thing you might want to consider is pollution. No matter how much the neighbourhood improves, you are basically living on top of an expressway. It is a major artery - traffic never seems to stop and even at night is pretty steady and noisy.

That cant be great for your ears or your lungs. I'd suspect that even though we are in central london, you'd be breathing even more fumes living over that road.

Just a thought...
Pages:  1 2 3 Next
Current: 1 of 3

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: