Good venue for a birthday - drinking and dancing

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Thursday 4 January 2007 4.17pm
Hi,

I am new to both the forum and SE1 and have to soon find a venue for my 30th birthday.

What I was after is somewhere like a "pub/club" where we can have a few beers and has a dance floor. Musically, indie / pop would be ideal. Guitars rather than bleeps :)

Does anyone know of a place near SE1 that would suit those criteria ?

Many thanks,
Ben
Thursday 4 January 2007 4.33pm
Assuming you don't want to hire somewhere for your group alone, the Southwark Rooms might fit the bill, but the music tends more towards chart (pop, dance and indie) on the Friday nights that I've been there.

If there are a few of you, you'll probably want to reserve an area - and I've always found the staff very helpful at making sure you have drinks etc if you're in a large group.

No connection - and I should say the last time I was there was about nine months ago.

Edited to say, I've just looked at the new website for the rooms and the picture of the upstairs doesn't really do the place justice. There is a dancefloor area downstairs which is pretty relaxed and cosy. Worth a look.
Thursday 4 January 2007 4.36pm
This previous thread might be worth a read:
http://www.london-se1.co.uk/forum/read/1/54012

Editor of the London SE1 website.
Subscribe to our SE1 Direct weekly newsletter.
Friday 5 January 2007 4.32pm
there's a great place near Old st, i think it's called 'the bedroom bar', it's above or near a comedy cafe type place. The serve great mochittos' (sp? tequila thing), and it's the first place that i saw Desperado's being sold.
TAK
Saturday 6 January 2007 9.54pm
The Bedroom Bar is on Rivington Street EC2, near Hoxton Square
Monday 8 January 2007 5.01pm
I love Bedroom especially the bit out the back. Would be great to have something similar down here - there is a lack of dancing in SE1!
Monday 8 January 2007 5.07pm
I would suggest Village East on Bermondsey Street. You can have a separate area in the main bar if you want and the cocktails are excellent.

Chris
Saturday 13 January 2007 4.06pm
Try asking the Market Porter in Stoney Street, Borough Market if their upstairs room is available. I had my civil partnership 'do' there, the food provided was great, and the atmosphere of being around the market in the evening is great. People were dancing in the streets to the music my DJ was playing, it was a special night and the staff were great. We had about 80 people up their which was about the maximum it would take realistically.
Monday 22 January 2007 1.48pm
As the Southwark rooms were booked out and the bedroom bar was running a late night techno one-off, I opted for The miller of mansfield as my party destination.

Thanks for all the help. I have still have some concerns about the 1am finish (seems a little early for us night owls) but that's probably best dealt with in a new thread...

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: