Places of interest - MI6 building in Borough

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Sunday 7 January 2007 5.02pm
Was reading a banned book by Richard Tomlinson, an ex MI6 agent, who says that the yellow sandstone building, opposite Southwark Police station, was MI6's non-field training headqaurters. Essentially, James Bond would have been trained to kill in Gosport, Hampshire and then would have been taught what forms to complete, when he had killed someone, at Borough.
Monday 8 January 2007 8.31am
Isn't that a purpose built halls of residence for South Bank?

Never trust a traitor...

Monday 8 January 2007 11.35am
Those secret agents did look terribly young...

Would you like to go with me?
Wherever I'm going
Are you *really* asking?
Is that your *real* answer?
Tuesday 9 January 2007 9.39am
Tuesday 9 January 2007 9.17pm
It certainly had the look of the sort of MoD building that you weren't supposed to ask too many questions about.

According to the comprehensive list prepared by Richard M. Bennett and Katie Bennett of AFI Research in The Mechanisms of an Oppressive State
296-302 Borough High Street, London SE1
SIS Training Centre until mid 1990's.
Wednesday 10 January 2007 1.54pm
Here's the full text from the book, the "Big Breach":

"Officially, the drab, nondescript yellow-brick building just opposite the police station on Borough High Street in Southwark, London, was a government stationery store. In reality, until recently it housed another MI6 training school. During the IONEC we spent alternate weeks at `Boro' and at the Fort. Training at Boro was oriented towards the administrative and theoretical aspects of the work and it was here that Ball and Long initiated us into the service's history, purpose and modus operandi."
Wednesday 10 January 2007 2.00pm
Keith McIntosh wrote:
During the IONEC we spent alternate weeks ... at the Fort.

Well I never. And after all those threads wondering what it was that went on in there! Who'd have thought? ;-)
Wednesday 10 January 2007 2.38pm
especially with old Long & Balls!!!
Wednesday 10 January 2007 2.53pm
Thanks for brightening up a dull afternoon.

["On manoeuvres at The Fort with Long & Balls" - ROFLMAO]

...if you press it, they will come.
Monday 15 January 2007 7.27am
My dad used to work in the Police Station opposite. He was in charge of the CID for the old Met Police "M" division, which I assume is the equivalent of the current "Southwark" division. It was busy. He led investigations into 17 murders or near killings in a single year. (And probably won't be pursuaded that SE1 has become a very desirable place to live.)

His office used to look out onto the MI6. Most of the curtains were drawn but I remember him pointing to the room opposite which had map of the world on the war with various lights that lit up. I'm not sure if he was aware that it was a training building. Instead I assume he used to see the different lights and wonder what MI6 activity was being planned in various parts of the Globe.

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: