London City Hotel

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2
Tuesday 9 January 2007 7.44am
Hello all!
We are a Norwegian couple planning a visit to London next month. We have been offered accomodation at a very reasonable price at London City Hotel in Borough High Street.

I would very much like to know if anybody knows anything about this hotel, as I have been unable to find any reviews of it. As I know that cheap London hotels not always have the best reputation, I would like to make sure that this is a nice hotel. We don't require any luxury, just a basic, clean hotel.

Any input is appreciated!
Tuesday 9 January 2007 8.25am
Has it just been built Blusi?
Tuesday 9 January 2007 8.47am
Isn't that the tiny one above the shops right next to Borough tube?

If so, whilst I don't know what it's like inside, it certainly doesn't present the most exciting face to the world - more like a boarding house look - probably pretty noisy too, being right next to the traffic lights.

Chain/more substantial alternatives include Day's Inn of Kennington Road, Southwark Rose on Southwark Bridge Road, Travel Inn County Hall, the Express By Holiday Inn on Southwark Street and the Premier Lodge on Park Street.

Alternatively, you could try Bed & Breakfast - see here http://www.londonhometohome.com/index.html

I have no connection to any of the above businesses.

Regards,

Loafer
Tuesday 9 January 2007 9.05am
It looks to me from it's website (http://www.london-city-hotel.co.uk/index.html) as though it is quite new and therefore you would hope clean, though their rates don't look that cheap and I cannot find any reviews of it anywhere to help you. It looks like its located above Borough Tube so may not be the quietest place on earth.

One hotel in the area that gets very good reviews (see for example tripadvisor.com) is the London Bridge Hotel and from a scan of the internet they seem to have rates in the next couple of months that are about the same as the London City Hotel quoted rates. The hotel is much more established than the City Hotel.

I should add that I have no connection to either hotel and have stayed at neither. good luck with where you stay and I hope you have an enjoyable trip.
Tuesday 9 January 2007 9.59am
Jan the old one wrote:
Has it just been built Blusi?
I'm not sure, on the website it says it's newly refurbished at least.
Tuesday 9 January 2007 10.03am
loafer wrote:
Isn't that the tiny one above the shops right next to Borough tube?
If so, whilst I don't know what it's like inside, it certainly doesn't present the most exciting face to the world - more like a boarding house look - probably pretty noisy too, being right next to the traffic lights.
Hm, that doesn't sound too promising.
loafer wrote:
Chain/more substantial alternatives include Day's Inn of Kennington Road, Southwark Rose on Southwark Bridge Road, Travel Inn County Hall, the Express By Holiday Inn on Southwark Street and the Premier Lodge on Park Street.
Thanks, but I have looked at most of these, and they are rather expensive compared to the London City Hotel, where we have been offered a rate of 60 per night. Also, we will probably be staying for 10 nights, and as this is not our main holiday, we are trying to keep costs down.
Tuesday 9 January 2007 10.05am
It's been there several years. No idea what it's like inside, but it certainly has easy access to Borough tube station - and London Bridge is just a short walk away.

You can find details of all visitor accommodation in the SE1 are in the hotels section of this website:
http://www.london-se1.co.uk/hotels/

Editor of the London SE1 website.
Subscribe to our SE1 Direct weekly newsletter.
Tuesday 9 January 2007 10.05am
garethpmorgan wrote:
It looks to me from it's website (http://www.london-city-hotel.co.uk/index.html) as though it is quite new and therefore you would hope clean, though their rates don't look that cheap and I cannot find any reviews of it anywhere to help you. It looks like its located above Borough Tube so may not be the quietest place on earth.
One hotel in the area that gets very good reviews (see for example tripadvisor.com) is the London Bridge Hotel and from a scan of the internet they seem to have rates in the next couple of months that are about the same as the London City Hotel quoted rates. The hotel is much more established than the City Hotel.

I should add that I have no connection to either hotel and have stayed at neither. good luck with where you stay and I hope you have an enjoyable trip.
As mentioned above, we have been offered a rate of 60 a night, so it is quite a lot cheaper than the London Bridge Hotel (though I agree that LBH look nicer).
Tuesday 9 January 2007 10.06am
By the way, thank you all for the quick and friendly answers, it is highly appreciated.
Tuesday 9 January 2007 10.13am
Why don't you book in for your 1st night and stay on if you like it or if you don't 'jump' to one of the other options?

My relatives used Premier Lodge in Park street and it was very good value. Also call/email a few saying you've been offered 60 a night -can they match it? Competition is high in the hotel industry at the moment-you never know!?
Enjoy London!
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: