We Are The Lambeth Boys (1958)

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 3 Next
Current: 1 of 3
Tuesday 9 January 2007 9.17am
Saw Karel Reisz's interesting 1958 documentary We Are The Lambeth Boys at the Tate Modern Community Film Club last night. It's about the teenage regulars at the Alford House Youth Club in Kennington in the late 50s.

The participants will be in their 60s now. Anybody know anyone who took part?
Tuesday 9 January 2007 2.13pm
I remember a follow up to this on BBC tv - The Lambeth Boys 30 years on. It was very interesting. From what I remember one of those featured was murdered, and another one became a millionaire, the rest is a bit hazy.
Tuesday 9 January 2007 4.33pm
Alford House Youth Club still exists.

And still serves a very deprived community.
Tuesday 9 January 2007 4.41pm
Thanks Sarah, I might go and have a peek.

From what I can glean after reading Rick's reply and doing a bit of research, there were two follow-up films made by the BBC and shown in 1985. One featured the original Lambeth Boys and Girls as they were in their 40s, and the other was a contemporary film about the club.
Tuesday 9 January 2007 4.45pm
And for anyone who is intrigued, the whole 50 minute film is available to watch here:

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=232669605535093695

Andrew
Thursday 11 January 2007 1.20pm
The film is brilliant! What a great record of local history. The star of the film has to be Peggy (about 5.48 mins into the film) she must be the younger version of Catherine Tate's “Nan”. Any idea where the follow-up film can be viewed?
Thursday 11 January 2007 1.50pm
oh those lovely shirtwasters ( dresses) with the gorgeous frothy petticoats...those smart suits, the quiffs....i am at work so could only watch a bit of it...how evocative...
Thank you Andrew..:-)
Thursday 11 January 2007 5.31pm
....the fags...the pork pies being made....no hats while being assembled...do you want ' airs wiv that!
the trip to the exclusive mill hill school in the back of an old army lorry...no seatbelts then!..i am driving every one mad here singing putting on the agony..putting on the style...no drugs...no beer...ordinary youth club ah bliss....pity i could not even wear a shirtwaister now!
Thursday 11 January 2007 8.22pm
I like Beryl and Percy the best.
Thursday 11 January 2007 9.05pm
What about poor Aidee? Given 6 weeks probation for singing? No wonder he got his money back and moved on to Alford House. Although he must have been rolling in it to afford a 15-guinea suit every 8 months.
Pages:  1 2 3 Next
Current: 1 of 3

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: