The Blue

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2
Tuesday 9 January 2007 2.48pm
Can anyone please enlighten me as to why The Blue is called The Blue?
Tuesday 9 January 2007 4.29pm
Cor, creeping into SE16. I have wondered this, since I live next to it. I guess they can't call it "The Square", because it's Triangular (cutbacks). Of course it is, in fact, blue, but I guess that came later...
Tuesday 9 January 2007 4.39pm
Afraid I'm not sure of the answer, but on a related note, wondered if anybody knows what re-development plans are in store for the Blue? I've noticed some boards on the upper levels of the buildings on the junction with St James's Road/Southpark Road that advertise space 'to be built'.

Also, does anybody know what has happened to Apollo (the video rental place). I went there yesterday to get a DVD and it's shut down.

Thanks,

Chris
Tuesday 9 January 2007 4.53pm
Got this from Southwark Council's web site:

The central market place in Bermondsey is called The Blue. We're not clear why it's called The Blue, but possibly because of Bermondsey's nautical ties or its location to Blue Anchor Road. If anyone knows better, let us at Bermondsey community council know!
Tuesday 9 January 2007 5.00pm
I'd always thought it was the Blue Anchor pub - which presumably gave its name to the road.

I found this reminiscence from
http://www.bbc.co.uk/ww2peopleswar/stories/47/a2303047.shtml

"Dad's Shop was in Galleywall Road, which joined Southwark Park Road at the part which was the main shopping area, lined with Shops and Stalls in the road, and known as the "Blue," after a Pub called the "Blue Anchor" on the corner of Blue Anchor Lane."
Tuesday 9 January 2007 5.13pm
Southwark Park Road used to called Blue Anchor Road. I guess that is why the area is called The Blue.
Tuesday 9 January 2007 5.22pm
Old & New London, 1878 wrote:
The Blue Anchor Road—so named from a tavern bearing that sign, at the corner of Blue Anchor Lane—commences at the Grange Road, and winding in a north-easterly direction under the railway, and so on to the end of the Jamaica Road, forms the boundary between the parishes of Bermondsey and Rotherhithe.
http://www.british-history.ac.uk/report.asp?compid=45270

Editor of the London SE1 website.
Subscribe to our SE1 Direct weekly newsletter.
Wednesday 10 January 2007 10.25am
Did Apollo say anything on it? There was no sign of closing, I thought they might just have been having a long Christmas break...
Wednesday 10 January 2007 10.44am
I've spoken to Filmnight (who took over Apollo) and they have confirmed that the store has been shut down as they are now an online company who only do DVD sales not rentals.

The other Apollo stores in London have been turned into Sainsbury locals so I have emailed Sainsbury's to find out if a new store may be on the way.

Chris
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: