website publishing laws

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Thursday 19 June 2003 9.19am
can anybody tell me, or point me in the right direction about publishing stuff on a website. If somebody puts pictures of people on their website without asking their permission, can this be challenged? thanks

Thursday 19 June 2003 9.39am
As a general rule, all people who publish pics of people, either on websites or print must obtain the subject's permission prior to publishing.

This would usually be done with a 'model release form' in which the subject agrees to have their image published, either within agreed territories, or by assigning their rights. This can be paid or unpaid.

If the relevant permissions aren't obtained the subject can ask for the photo to be removed or for payment for use of the shot.
Monday 23 June 2003 6.40pm
Are you sure? I thought there wasn't copyright in your image (i.e. this is why papparazi (?sp) can snap away at celebs. If that isn't the case it affects people caught in holiday snaps which are then posted online. Any copyright law experts out there?
Tuesday 24 June 2003 8.54am
sorry, I meant to put this in chatter, but yes, that was my point - what if people take supposedly "innocent" snaps but then put them on their website, without the consent of the person who was photographed? it seems quite easy to do, and how would you know anyway if your face has been posted onto some dodgy website ?!

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: