Moving to South Bermondsey SE16

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2
Thursday 11 January 2007 11.37am
Hi,

I am currently thinking about moving to the SE16 area - near South Bermondsey Station. I have seen a couple of fairly new build flats in the area near Verney/Varcoe road. They seem to be reasonabley priced.

Whats the area like? I have chosen it as a possible candidate as it's easy to get to both the city/west end (South Bermondsey BR) and Canary Wharf (Bus to Canada Water) and it seems cheaper. I have heard that there is alot of crime near the South Bermondsey rail station due to lack of CCTV and lighting. There also seemed to be a fair few youths about and smashed windscreen glass on the road near the flats.

Can anyone comment on the area? Do you think that it is safe at night walking home from the station? Any major developments going on that could impact the area? I am really keen to know....

Thanks
Thursday 11 January 2007 12.08pm
Welcome to the Forum!

I have limited knowledge of this area, but will tell you what I know.

If you are buying, then South Bermondsey has a lot of potential. There is talk of Millwall being re-developed into a Sports City which would see new residential and commercial space being built and the area given a much needed economic boost (in theory). Moreover, the regeneration in the rest of Bermondsey (especially Bermondsey Spa) is likely to spill over into South Bermondsey as buyers looks further afield. As an investment, I think it has a fair bit of merit.

On safety, I am told that the mainline rail station has a pretty poor reputation, but, then again, provided you know this, you can take the necessary precautions. I would have thought this station was due an upgrade now and would definitely be included in the Millwall plans. Proximity to the Den on match days may also be an issue for noise/trouble, but the general feeling is that Millwall is far more civilised that a few years ago and there is a real effort to turn this into a family club.

Spend time in the area - go to the shops, walk around during the day and the evening - and get a real feel for it. Also, try and speak to your neighbours and see what they are like and how they view the area.

Let us know how you get on.

Chris
Saturday 2 February 2008 6.54pm
I know the area very well, as I have family in a new build on Varcoe Rd. I went to school that used the gym facilities at the MillWall Stadium which is on the other side of Varcoe Rd, also I currently live else where in SE16.

I recommend the area greatly, prices are a bit expensive but hopefully you can get a 2 bed flat for under 250K (not sure to be honest). If the east london line extends to the locality then it would be fantastic, but at the moment you've got the rail way into London Bridge.

Safety wise, it's a lot better now than it was a decade ago, i;ve never had a problems and often take the bus around the area.

The area is improving, and the sustrans project should be great for south bermondsey station.
Sunday 3 February 2008 9.42pm
I live on Southwark Park Road, just into SE16. You're right to identify that there's a problem with anti-social behaviour and gangs of young people, but probably no more of one than anywhere else in London in that price range, and certainly the long-term prospects for the area are better than average.
Monday 4 February 2008 2.09pm
I lived in SE16 most of my life and moved to SE1 about year and half ago, never been attacked and feel quite safe coming home after a few drinks after work.

While living on the 4 squares in Southwark Park Rd the 10 & 12 year old [name removed - JH] children tried to break into our flat on a late Sat morning (while we were in bed with a hangover)! To feed their mother's habit but we had them arrested and they were soon evicted, that has been the only negative thing but you get problem families like this near enough everywhere.
Tuesday 5 February 2008 4.44pm
I moved to SE16 from SE1 about 3 years ago and I have been very happy here. I live between Jamaica Road and Southwark Park Road. Transport links are excellent, I can be in the West End in 20 minutes door to door. There are plenty of good local shops and there are plenty of restaurants within walking distance. Some of the pubs are a little uncomfortable, but in general I have found the locals more friendly than those in SE1. I feel perfectly safe here walking around at night, although my other half says she prefers not to cut though any of the estates after dark.
Sunday 29 January 2012 7.50pm
I moved near to Bermondsey underground station in 2003, but husband lived this area all his life. I think its like any other area, you get good and bad, but if you refer to south bermondsey station, I dont think its got a very good reputation, I would not get out at that station if it was dark to be honest. I read a couple of years ago couple of ladies were attacked when coming out of south bermondsey overground because of the poor lighting and I think they have to walk down this quite alley bit first. I found London bridge to be safer to get out at, more people around. Cant speak for actual area around there really. Just looks a bit quite to me, bit out of the way from place. If you seek local for shops etc, I could suggest Jamaica Road, Surrey Quays etc. but its pricey so be warned.
Thursday 15 August 2013 5.24pm
Hi,

I am also looking to buy a flat in Crown place apartments. How did you find your move/do you like the apartment?

Any more information about South Bermondsey anyone can give me?

The flats seem too good to be true which makes me skeptical.

Are there any problems with the gas works?
Friday 16 August 2013 12.35pm
I haven't been around south bermondsey in a while, although i lived there. When I did, the "new build estates" were nice on their own, the residents were a bit dodge. frequently saw burnt out cars and gangs of youths causing havoc. There was also alot of petty crime. (also when Millwall go on the rampage it can get a bit nasty)

I would reccommend if your heart is set on the Bermondsey area that you move closer to the tube station (if you can afford it) or even Rotherhithe. (just not the estate behind Rotherhithe tube)

I have lived in both south Bermondsey and right next to Bermondsey station (Jamaica rd) and there is a stark difference in my opinion.
Friday 16 August 2013 1.56pm
I know there is a lot of car crime around that area,especially when Millwall are at home and double that when it's a night game.
I think the regen is going to include a new station on Surrey canal rd not sure whether under or overground though so not too sure what they will do with Sth Bermondsey.
I also think,though it's a risky prediction,that the days of Millwall fans rampaging through the area are a thing of the past,although i'm not sure i'd put my house on Millwall being a part of it,saying that,our Chairman, who I believe is a property developer,wouldn't be there for his love of MFC.
You would probably have to endure a lot of building work in the future as well but of course when it's all completed,your laughing!
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

Proud to belong to

Independent Community News Network