London Bridge Gym?

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 3 4 Next
Current: 1 of 4
Thursday 11 January 2007 11.59am
Hi all

I've recently moved into the London Bridge area and I want to join a gym but am on a tight budget....can anyone recommend a good gym in the area where the membership fee isn't too high?

i've heard the Topnotch Gym under the arches is a great gym, don't know about prices for it yet though...any thoughts on this place??

thanking you!
ells2006
Thursday 11 January 2007 12.15pm
Wasn't Topnotch the gym that was universally condemned recently on this site?

I seem to recall that Topnotch's manager had posted anonymously to the forum slagging off 37 Degrees and various other local gyms whilst promoting Topnotch.

I've no direct experience of Topnotch, though I've heard bad things about it. Personally, I am really impressed with 37 Degrees (no connection).
Thursday 11 January 2007 12.20pm
I have no connection other than being a member, but I'm perfectly happy with Topnotch, and I've been going there for about 6 years now.
Thursday 11 January 2007 12.21pm
great thanks guys!

nancy- what's the membership fee like? pricey?
Thursday 11 January 2007 12.31pm
Welcome to the area ells2006; hope you're enjoying it.

it was indeed Topnotch that was roundly critisized on this thread:

Gym discussion thread link

Comments included:

"topnotch is a scruffy dirty old fashioned very downmarket gym that seems to have missed the trend to more inclusive well designed and up to date health clubs the public want. the music played throughout the place is goddamn awful and the mens changing rooms are filthy. sure its cheap but charging for towels??? come off it! and the pound coin in the locker reeks of council..sorry guys but you have to do better"

and:

"I'm also a member of Topnotch and can confirm the music is goddamn awful. Beyond goddamn awful. I also agree that the place is scruffy and often unclean. I'm a member because it's convenient for me, but I wouldn't recommend it to anyone, in all honesty."

That said, people do seem to think that it is the cheapest in the area, but as the above comment suggests, perhaps you get what you pay for.

Good luck in finding the right gym.
Thursday 11 January 2007 1.15pm
hmm sounds a bit dodgy...

i guess that's probably all i can afford at the moment however!

thanks for all your help :)

ells2006
Thursday 11 January 2007 1.16pm
i'm a member of top notch and have no problems with it and have not found it dirty or scruffy
Thursday 11 January 2007 1.16pm
There's a gym in Hays Galleria. It used to be a Fitness Exchange, but is now a Fitness First. I have no idea what it's like, but I'm a member of another branch in the City which is fine, and the Hays Galleria one is meant to be posher.
Thursday 11 January 2007 1.34pm
oh that sounds good...i think a fitness first might be a bit expensive though for what i'm able to pay at the moment- that's the downside to living in se1, you can live there but you can't pay for anything else!!

ells2006
Jac
Thursday 11 January 2007 1.43pm
I go to fitness exchange which is currently being refurbished. As I was able to take advantage of off peak membership which was cheaper than top notch. I have no complaints except thay have just withdrawn a number of classes which were available to off peak members. Have complained verbaly and in writing (yesturday) and for the time being at least I am able to continue the class I have done since I joined. Their latest poster states membership starts from 24.95 a month, guessing thats off peak 12 months contract, home gym only. Anyway may be worth checking out. I will enquire tonight for prices if I remember. No conections except those stated etc
Pages:  1 2 3 4 Next
Current: 1 of 4

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

Proud to belong to

Independent Community News Network