Hide Bar, Bermondsey Street

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 3 4 Next
Current: 1 of 4
Monday 15 January 2007 2.23pm
Hi,

it looks like it should be opening soon.Will it a good addition to the area ? ivejust had a peek on their website & i'm not too sure.It appears to be part of a chain.The other branches have that generic modern bar feel that lacks a bit of individuality.I guess that it's a sign of Bermondseys Sts burgening popularity that a chain, albeit small,is moving in.Does anyone else have any thoughts ?

Paul
Monday 15 January 2007 2.49pm
At present in Bermondsey Street there are four drinking establishments between Long Lane and Tooley Street, and from my experience there is not a decent drop of real ale to found in any of them, so I do hope that this venue will have some.

When in The Horns [oops Suchards] before Christmas all they could offer was bottled Spitfire or Pride - not quite the same as being on draught......
Monday 15 January 2007 4.45pm
Leclere,

"I will say this only once" : Since the Hide Bar is annexed to the Wine and Spirit Educational Trust, I suspect that the accent will not be on the Real Ale.

I'm fortunate enough to be invited to the opening do on 27th January (nb no connection, other than living on Bermondsey Street) and, as a wine anorak, have great expectations for challenging and unusual wines to be offered by the glass.

I will report back to the Forum once the mist has cleared, making every effort to be objective.

ps Does the Garrison's Adnam's Bitter count for nothing in your quest for Real Ale, Tis I, Leclere ?

pps Looking at the website (www.thehidebar.com), I see that they will offer beer from the Meantime Brewery in Greenwich. Any good, Leclere ?
Monday 15 January 2007 8.06pm
Meantime coffee beer is fantastic
Monday 15 January 2007 8.57pm
Quote:
At present in Bermondsey Street there are four drinking establishments between Long Lane and Tooley Street, and from my experience there is not a decent drop of real ale to found in any of them
The Shipwrights Arms on the corner of Tooley has provided a very acceptable pint of guest real ales on my occasional visits.
Tuesday 16 January 2007 4.59am
Tis I, Leclere wrote:
At present in Bermondsey Street there are four drinking establishments between Long Lane and Tooley Street, and from my experience there is not a decent drop of real ale to found in any of them, so I do hope that this venue will have some.
http://fancyapint.com/main_site/thepubs/pub84.htm
This is just aroudn the corner and serves several decent draught beers from Sam Smiths.

se1ty slicker wrote:
pps Looking at the website (www.thehidebar.com), I see that they will offer beer from the Meantime Brewery in Greenwich. Any good, Leclere ?

Super stuff. You can get even more of it if you go over to their home pub in Greenwich. The Roebuck on Great Dover serves one or two meantime beers and so does Brew Wharf near Borough Mkt.
Tuesday 16 January 2007 10.19am
The Leather Exchange on Leathermarket Street is only round the corner, and it's a Fullers pub so sells Fullers draught bitters.
Tuesday 16 January 2007 3.21pm
Hi all

Just a quick post to say that The Hide is not part of a chain. Although I've managed other people's (all independent), it's my first venture.

I hope you like it, and please let me know if you have any thoughts or comments once we're open.

We are opening with three Meantime beers on tap - Helles (light German style beer), Pale Ale (hoppy) and their wonderful wheat beer. We will be looking into getting a guest ale on, but there are a few logistical problems in not having a cellar, so it might be a while I'm afraid. We will have 5 bottled ales (Black Sheep, Butcombe Gold, Hookey Best, Suffolk County and Nethergate Old Growler).

As has been pointed out, we are under the Wine and Spirit Education trust, so will have some lovely wines, spirits and cocktails to try out as well.

Best wishes,

Paul
Tuesday 16 January 2007 4.20pm
paulm wrote:
We are opening with three Meantime beers on tap - Helles (light German style beer), Pale Ale (hoppy) and their wonderful wheat beer.

Would love to see the Coffee ale or the Koelsh!! :-)
Tuesday 16 January 2007 5.01pm
Paul, i apologise for my original post.It appears that i have confused your website with a similarly named website.

Having now viewed the correct site may i wish you the very best for your new venture & must say that i am very much looking forward to visiting & sampling your extensive wine list !
Pages:  1 2 3 4 Next
Current: 1 of 4

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: