Magdalen restaurant on Tooley Street - sounds good!

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 3 4 5 6 Next
Current: 1 of 6
Tuesday 16 January 2007 6.53am
This place sounds great! And good to see SE1 getting some attention, as always...

http://www.dailycandy.com/article.jsp?ArticleId=29000&city=9

Does anyone know how expensive it is?
Tuesday 16 January 2007 8.18am
Looks like the owners and chef have an excellent pedigree. I walk past the place twice a day and it does look good, (not a lot listed for non-carnivores though) and the pricing on the menu is reasonable for a place of its type. There was a notice up stating that everything is half price in the first week, so be be quick!
Tuesday 16 January 2007 6.36pm
I would say the place certainly looks nice, but I think the menu could do with a little more thought. Shoulder of mutton for 5 people almost 80, I think thats a bit steep and how often do you really get a table with 5 people all wanting the same thing?

If I had known about the half price opening week I would of tried it, but I didn`t and I have no spare evenings this week now. shame.
Thursday 18 January 2007 2.28pm
went there on tuesday evening. lovely venue and delicious food with a great wine list. the half price opening offer made it a complete bargain.
chris ward
mac
Thursday 18 January 2007 3.09pm
yes, we went there last night and it was nice. It was pretty full and the tables were a tad close together but it is a nice restaurant. However, there was nothing on the menu for vegetarians. There were about 3 fish options, several meat (sliced pigs head; braised hare leg...) and quite a few meat dishes for sharing. I think the menu changes fairly often (maybe daily?). Will probably go again
Thursday 18 January 2007 6.45pm
Would say I was positively surprised. The prices are really fair for what your get. The portions are not huge, ordering just one course would qualify for your Weight Watchers class...
The wine list is interesting and diverse (again, fairly priced); the menu is a bit on the adventurous side but everything we had was cooked to perfection and tasted great. Examples: (starters) Warm lentils, boiled egg and anchovy 6; Snails, bone marrow and toast 7.50; Crispy frog legs 9 (didn't try those...but was surprised to see it on the menu); (mains) Brill, salsify, fennel, red wine sauce 15.50; Braised Hare leg and swede 14; (deserts) Chestnut millefeuille 6; Chocolate cake, ice cream 6
Any negative comments? Well, I really don't like paper tablecloth...
Friday 19 January 2007 12.59pm
In response to the comment about pricing on the new restaurant Magdalen, I don't know where she got the 80 from as when I saw the menu in the window it was 68.00 or so for the 5 to share which works out at only 13 or so per person which is not expensive at all. We go to the Anchor and Hope in the cut a lot and the sharing dishes are really popular. This new restaurant looks much nicer and a friend of mione that visited said the food was fantastic. I can't wait to try it myself but you will find that already they are fully booked for the rest of the week. When I asked about veggie options I was told they do have but not listed on the menu.
Friday 19 January 2007 1.07pm
Marlon wrote:
. When I asked about veggie options I was told they do have but not listed on the menu.

Bizarre. They should get this sorted.

Do they have a website?
Friday 19 January 2007 4.01pm
Went along last night, just by chance, and they had nothing for the time we went in, but some tables at 9:30. so could be you can get lucky!

Can't find a website for them, and have they're card as well and it doesnt mention one.
Friday 19 January 2007 4.38pm
went last night. lovely decor, absolutely mediocre first and second course for both of us. custard tart for pudding was exceptional.

if we had been paying full price i would have been fairly unimpressed at the level.

however as some others have pointed out, the wine list is good and well priced.
Pages:  1 2 3 4 5 6 Next
Current: 1 of 6

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: