Pub Rules

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
RR
Tuesday 16 January 2007 8.16pm
My friends and i recently moved to the area and there is nothing like making yourself feel more at home than finding a nice local. When visiting The George and not wanting to step on anyones turf i asked the locals whether they had finished with the pool table. Even though they had they were adamant that we had to play them for the table. We tried to explain, compromise, wait til later and even pay them for a game but to no avail. Instead, 2 'local' and rather drunk men took it upon themselves to get quite mouthy to us (2 young women) about 'when in Rome...' In the end we had to leave the pub and our drinks to stop getting spat at in a drunken who owns what conversation. I understand the money on the table rule. I understand the play the winner rule. But these guys were nothing but rude, obnoxious and out of control. The pub staff, obviously under the locals wrath as well, did nothing to help. Has anyone else had this problem here? From now on our custom is very gratefully recieved from The grange pub were you even get free sandwiches. Manners dont cost a thing boys....and no one was impressed
Tuesday 16 January 2007 8.35pm
What George did you go in?? If its the one on TBR, I can understand your feelings. (TBR = Tower Bridge Road)
Tuesday 16 January 2007 8.37pm
I have found that the George does attract some grim customers. Close by, I recommend the Market Porter, or the Gladstone which is fab!

Would you like to go with me?
Where?
Wherever I'm going
Are you *really* asking?
Is that your *real* answer?
Tuesday 16 January 2007 10.08pm
Last time I was in, there was a massive fight.. so yep, I'd agree. Quite nice pub otherwise though! Must be the one on TBR.. I don't think the one on BHS has a pool table... unless it's a three hundred year old National Trust biliard table!
Wednesday 17 January 2007 12.38pm
What about the one on Long Lane?
RR
Wednesday 17 January 2007 1.47pm
It was the one on Tower Bridge Road, im glad it wasnt personal!
Wednesday 17 January 2007 3.17pm
At more than one of my old locals, you always had to play the incumbent winner to get on the table. Lucky (in that respect) that one of my friends was pretty good at pool, otherwise we'd never have had a chance of a game. I thought it was a reasonably common arrangement.

(Even so, it sounds like these gents were a bit OTT)

...if you press it, they will come.
Wednesday 17 January 2007 3.24pm
Sidney wrote:
What about the one on Long Lane?

Both look equally grim - and they dont really have a beer selection that redeems them either.
RR
Wednesday 17 January 2007 5.44pm
Ivanhoe wrote:
At more than one of my old locals, you always had to play the incumbent winner to get on the table. Lucky (in that respect) that one of my friends was pretty good at pool, otherwise we'd never have had a chance of a game. I thought it was a reasonably common arrangement.
(Even so, it sounds like these gents were a bit OTT)

it is but they had finished and were only doing it to be difficult. cave people
Wednesday 17 January 2007 7.03pm
Sorry, but I've not made myself clear. I mean that I've been in pubs where it's "winner stays on" and the reward for being the incumbent winner is that the next person who wants to play on the table has to play you for the right to do so. This sometimes means that the table appears to be empty, as in the circumstance you describe.

[As I've said, that's no excuse for being rude.]

...if you press it, they will come.

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: