Elephant & Castle roundabout

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Thursday 18 January 2007 11.08am
Does anyone know what the building is in the middle of the E&C roundabout - next to the billboards. Huge silver thing ??? I walk past it every day and realised I had no idea what it is !!
Thanks
Kara
Thursday 18 January 2007 11.12am
Thursday 18 January 2007 12.01pm
Thanks Neil
Thursday 18 January 2007 6.34pm
I drove past it this evening and noticed that there are steps up to a door in the side of it. Does anyone know what is inside it??
Thursday 18 January 2007 10.54pm
hydrometer wrote:
I drove past it this evening and noticed that there are steps up to a door in the side of it. Does anyone know what is inside it??

I think that the door is a fire escape from the substation plant room inside. I belive it was put in in the last two years by London Underground to meet some new health and safety/building regs. As far as I can ascertain, TfL almost certainly didn't get listed building consent first, although as ever, I am ready to stand corrected.
Saturday 20 January 2007 2.41pm
From the booklet available at the current E&C regeneration exhibition:

Southwark Council wrote:
Plans are now underway for one of Elephant and Castle [sic] best known landmarks, the heritage listed Faraday Memorial, to be moved from its current location in the middle of the heavily trafficked northern roundabout to a more fitting location off Walworth Road.
Southwark Council is currently in discussions with the Science Museum and the memorial's original architect, Rodney Gordon, to bring a local branch of the science museum [sic] to Elephant and Castle, using the Faraday Memorial as a shell for the new facility.

Editor of the London SE1 website.
Subscribe to our SE1 Direct weekly newsletter.
Saturday 16 August 2008 5.21pm
I hadn't realised that Rodney Gordon, the architect of the Faraday Memorial, died at the end of May.

Belatedly, there was a wonderful obituary in yesterday's Times

Rodney Gordon: brutalist architect who worked with Owen Luder

(I think Jonathan Meades distinctive voice can be heard in this piece of writing)

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: