Eccles Place, SE1

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2
Zoe
Thursday 18 January 2007 10.18pm
I live on the corner of Hatfields and The Cut, SE1. Previously Southwark Council had our block registered as being Eccles Place, not Hatfields.

After some effort, we managed to get them to change it, so we tend to get our post more now. However the origin of Eccles Place is a bit of a mystery.

This area was extensively bombed, so I had always presumed that this was why the street no longer existed. However, I've looked on old street maps, and can see no reference to it, going quite far back.

Can anyone shed any light?
Monday 21 November 2011 10.24pm
Hey Zoe, Tim from Styles here - I too have wondered about this for years but finally found an answer recently on a wartime map. It shows a tiny lane called Eccles Place running from The Cut to Isabella St, parallel with Hatfields and Joan Street. Somewhere along the line of the sheds/back of the Northstar property. Perhaps it even ran partially under our flats - so maybe we do literally live on Eccles Place!

Indeed, almost all of Styles House was built on land where properties were damaged beyond repair after the Blitz. But most properties on the east side of Eccles Place survived with little or no damage, so its perhaps likely they were in use after the war.
Zoe
Tuesday 22 November 2011 7.26am
Hi Tim, I've seen this map as well, it appears to have also run through the BT building, and you can actually see the lane at the side of the BT building from Meymott Street.

Do you think we should campaign to get Eccles Place back? It could be the address for our tenant's hall!
Tuesday 22 November 2011 10.48pm
Let's not get it back with Royal Mail! Maybe some Eccles cakes though...

As you doubtless know it was called Norfolk Street originally. I wonder if there was a connection with Eccles in Norfolk when they changed it.

It was still called Norfolk St on 1930s maps I've seen, so Eccles must have been a short-lived name. Aside from all those decades of appearing on our mail!
Zoe
Wednesday 23 November 2011 8.04am
I didn't know it was called Norfolk Street, that's much nicer than Eccles Place. I also didn't know that Eccles was in Norfolk, it's all new stuff for me today.
Wednesday 4 January 2012 2.36pm
Hi Zoe
I finally found a map showing exactly where Eccles Place/Norfolk St was. It was a narrow street running along that strip of ground which is rubble and weeds, from behind the pram sheds to the edge of the concrete slab of the North Star building.
Zoe
Wednesday 4 January 2012 8.07pm
Hi Tim, I'd love to see it, shall we get together at some point?
Saturday 7 January 2012 8.41pm
I didn't get a copy, saw it at the LMA and hadn't invested in a photography licence that day :) Hoping to find a better one including all our land (as this one didn't quite extend to the corner of Hatfields and the Cut). Will let you know!
Zoe
Sunday 8 January 2012 1.14pm
See if you can find some photos as well!! I'd love to see some of the houses that were here. Do you remember when we saw the cellars when Thames Water dug up the front garden?
Sunday 8 January 2012 4.15pm
Yes I'm looking for pics. Plenty of good Hatfields / Broadwall pics but all north of the rail line so far. Some great ones of the vast empty block where Colombo House is now.

Found one taken outside No 1 Roupell St before those houses were added in the '70s - you could see Styles House from there!

No I totally missed the cellars - grrr! Did you take any pics?
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: