Tate Modern Chimney

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 3 Next
Current: 1 of 3
Lang Rabbie Saturday 20 January 2007 10.54am
Surely the headline Tate Modern chimney damaged in storm is inaccurate.

Giles Gilbert Scott's sturdily constructed brick chimney is unharmed. It is only Herzog and De Meuron/Michael Craig Martin's lightweight perspex "Swiss Light" on the top that was damaged in the gales.

IMHO, this poorly proportioned lid has done it job to announce the conversion of the power station. How much money would we have to give back to the Swiss Government to get rid of this blot on the SE1 skyline for good?

I seem to recall that the chimney was only capped in this way because the original plan to install lifts to a viewing platform couldn't be afforded from the Millennium funding pot.

Given the visitor numbers they are already battling with, my suspicion is that some Tate curators breathed a sigh of relief, given the experienced of the Pompidou Centre, which IIRC became the most visited attraction in Paris, but where thousands of vistitors come through the doors just to ride the escalators for the views without looking at any of the art inside.

James Hatts Saturday 20 January 2007 11.02am
You're quite right; the headline was misleading. I've edited it. And fixed a typo too.

Editor of the London SE1 website and SE1 Direct newsletter
James Hatts Friday 4 April 2008 11.37am
It looks like the Swiss Light might finally be repaired; a very long ladder is currently being installed on the southern face of the chimney.

These pictures are from yesterday - the ladder is even higher up now, but hasn't reached the top yet.

reece Friday 4 April 2008 11.44am
Maybe it's cynical o'clock chez Reece, but I suspect that the lightbox would have been fixed long ago if it had been facing any direction other than south.
Ivanhoe Friday 4 April 2008 12.20pm
They're not going to fix it, silly. The ladder reaching to heaven is another of the "happenings" they've been doing this week.

I think it represents man's struggle to rise higher

...if you press it, they will come.
James Hatts Friday 4 April 2008 12.48pm

James Hatts Friday 4 April 2008 1.13pm
Some pictures taken from the Blue Fin Building have been posted on Flickr
http://www.flickr.com/photos/timcallaghan/sets/72157604382890169/

reece Friday 4 April 2008 1.23pm
Go, little guys! Go! You can make it!
reece Friday 4 April 2008 2.20pm
Great news! I have visual confirmation - the little guys have made it to top!

Ivanhoe Friday 4 April 2008 3.07pm
Now that's what I call ART

...if you press it, they will come.
Pages:  1 2 3 Next
Current: 1 of 3

To post a message, you must be a registered user. If you are already registered, please log in.

Subscribe now

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,300+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum

Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions