Volunteering

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2
Wednesday 24 January 2007 10.35pm
does anyone know an organisation near borough SE1 that needs volunteers at weekends to help older people get their shopping, run errands , car lifts etc ?

we used to keep an eye out for a neighbour when we lived in east london and would be happy to do so here in SE1 - any ideas appreciated.

usually have a couple of spare hours each weekend so thought it about time to do something useful for the local community etc
Jac
Wednesday 24 January 2007 11.40pm
Get in touch with Southwark Churches Care. 020 7252 6381. They need volunteers in the SE1 area either to do regular visits to old folk or one off jobs such as gardening, hanging curtians etc. Sue Smith is the Volunteer for this area and I am sure she would be very pleased to hear from you
Thursday 25 January 2007 10.30am
Non-religious - although they (used to, and may still) have offices in a church - try Waterloo Time Bank.

...if you press it, they will come.
Thursday 25 January 2007 10.45am
-- moved topic --
Thursday 25 January 2007 10.48am
Also check out Volunteer Centre Southwark
http://www.volunteercentres.org.uk/Volunteers/vopps.htm

Blackfriars Settlement occasionally advertises for volunteers to visit elderly people etc - might be worth giving them a ring.

Editor of the London SE1 website.
Subscribe to our SE1 Direct weekly newsletter.
Thursday 25 January 2007 10.54am
The Chaplin Close sheltered housing community, off the Cut, is very deserving and always grateful for help.

I and my partner help them out from time to time. Message me if you're interested, and I'll put you in touch with them.
Jac
Thursday 25 January 2007 11.47am
Just to clarify as far as I am aware you do not have to go to church to volunteer or recieve help through southwark churches care. I do know that they have people in SE1 waiting for people to befriend them which is why I suggested it.
Thursday 25 January 2007 11.56am
Sorry if my posting was ambiguous Jac. Didn't mean anything by it.

...if you press it, they will come.
Jac
Thursday 25 January 2007 12.36pm
Ivanhoe Don't worry I didn't read anything more into your post. I just realised that it might put boroughpaul (and others) off if they didn't consider themselve "religious" but they do need people now to do just what he is offering.
Thursday 25 January 2007 9.42pm
I am a volunteer for foodchain, a charity which works across london delivering meals to people with HIV and AIDS every sunday, drivers are always needed for anout 3 hours on a sunday or even other days for errands etc. They have a kitchen in bermondsey, just technically outside SE1, but near enough!

Its very rewarding and you`ll meet great people
check out the website
www.foodchain.org.uk
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: