New to the Area

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Friday 26 January 2007 7.04pm

I'm moving to London on wednesday to start a job at St Thomas's hospital. I've been allocated a room in the hospital accommodation on Sancroft Street in Kennington.

I was just looking for a few reviews of the area? The accommdation? Does anyone live on Sancroft street? What are the local amenities?

Thanks for any help,

Friday 26 January 2007 9.57pm
St Thomas' is very central, with the attractions of the South Bank and Covent Garden only 10-20 minutes' walk away. Kennington is mainly residential, but has some nice pubs and restaurants. Near the hospital is Lower Marsh, with a street market and unusual shops, bars and cafes. You should enjoy yourself!

I don't know the street you are moving to, hopefully that will be fine. Good luck with the move!
Friday 26 January 2007 10.49pm
I don't know the accommodation, but Sancroft Street is OK.

Kennington Cross, at the end of Sancroft Street has some good pubs (Dog House, White Hart, Prince of Wales) and restaurants (Amici, Kennington Tandoori etc.), whilst, as CampCrusader says, the delights of the South Bank and West End are walking distance.

As a first place to live in London, it's pretty good.

I'm not sure whether you are coming from town or country, but just to be sure, I would say that, as with any big city, be aware of your surroundings, be wise and be safe when out late at night. Kennington is pretty safe if you're sensible.

Friday 26 January 2007 10.56pm
Kennington Cross is good for popping out... I can't picture Sancroft Street - I live very near there - my curiosity will make me dig out my A-Z! If entertainingly kitsch is the perfect night out, then South Pacific (a Hawaiian tiki lounge bar) at Kennington Cross is very entertaining.

You'll love the area. Get back on here and let us all know how it goes!

And, if you find any good places - let us all know!
Saturday 27 January 2007 10.06am
Thanks for all your advice! It is very much appreciated. It has put my mind at ease. I am moving from the North Yorkshire countryside so it is a big move. I went to Uni in Sheffield so I have a little bit of City centre living under my belt! I look forward to sampling the delights of my new surroundings.
Sunday 28 January 2007 10.30am
you'll be quite near Vauxhall city farm which might go a little way to reminding you of home. I think the best way to get to know the area is to walk. You've got the (free) Imperial War Museum too. As well as being a walk form the west end, as the others pointed out, you're not far from the Borough Hhigh St./London Bridge area, with Borough Market on Fridays and Saturdays. Its a food market but its qite a social place too. Go for lunch. There's also some good bars that are a bit different. The Roxy ahows films, the Glad is tiny but manages to get live music on. If you go up to the river from your street and head east along the South Bank, you'll see a lot like St. Pauls, Tate Modern, Shakespeares Globe (not very far form the original site), Southwark Cathedral, HMS Belfast, Tower Bridge.
Monday 29 January 2007 12.30pm
beetroot wrote:
I think the best way to get to know the area is to walk.

or better still, get a bike - there's nothing quite like it for helping you put the whole of London in perspective and realise that you can get to almost anywhere in Zone 2 within 30 mins using pedal power. There's also a surprising amount of green space and off-main road cycle lanes particularly south of the river, so it's quite easy and safe to explore.

Get your free maps from
Monday 29 January 2007 1.23pm
Hi Mark

D'you like cricket? You're but a stone's throw from the Oval, home of surrey cc.

Has anyone mentioned Kennington park? I came to London aged 5 from shropshire and woke on my mother's knee in the removal van, and Kennington Park was the first thing I saw. I was enchanted. I practically lived there as a kid but confess I haven't been in for 20 years. I know there are fairs and used to be other bands and stuff in there,don't know what it's like now, security-wise or entertainment-wise.

Do you like history? There are over 100 victims of a direct hit on an air raid shelter buried in the park. In 16hundred & something, a woman was burned at the stake there, when it was Kennington Common. Sposed to have poisoned her husband.Again when it was a common, it extended right to St Matthews church; a number of people from the Jacobite rebellion (1745) are buried under the church, having been executed on the common. Lastly, the last great Chartist petition (1848) set off from there to go to Parliament. But most of the Chartists were turned back & not allowed to get to Parliament. Plus ca change....

You've a bit of open space at the hospital but can I just mention somthing that's almost a secret? If you walk across Westminster bridge and go into Dean's yard, you can go through the Abbey closters into the College garden (on Tues, Wed & Thurs)and it's lovely and quiet & a great place to recharge your batteries.

St James's park is gorgeous but on the way to Buck palace, so full of tourists, but the Green park is big and ok if you're young enough to
sit on the grass.

I'd get an A to Z & a Nicholson's guide. N Yorks London ain't (my father was a yorkshireman)but if you're young, fit & sociable you might find it very exciting.
'Never ask a man if he comes from Yorkshire. If he does, he'll tell you. If he doesn't, why humiliate him?' A quotation. Dunno whose.

All the best

Monday 29 January 2007 4.46pm

Thanks for the advice, you've given me some excellent tips! 2 days to go before I move, really looking forward to it!
Monday 29 January 2007 5.42pm
and when you get here, be sure to keep an eye on the socials posts and come out and meet a few people in person too.

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: