Honest Cabbage

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 3 Next
Current: 1 of 3
Thursday 3 January 2002 4.33pm
Have any of you been to the Honest Cabbage lately, Went there a few weeks back for dinner, the fat smells coming from the kitchen were disgusting, got home and our clothes stunk.

Hope they clean up their act soon.
Saturday 5 January 2002 7.39pm
Yes, there's a problem at the Honest Cabbage.

I'm so disappointed, as it's my local, and I used to love it, and I want to support it.

BUT. The last few times I have been there, I've had really rotten meals. My creme brulee just before Christmas was truly disgusting. No flavour. It had obviously been sitting in the fridge for weeks. My friends (three others) also had various complaints about the dishes they had.

On top of this, the service is absolutely appalling. They are rude beyond belief, and you have to wait for EVER to have your dishes cleared and for the next course to arrive. Coffee is served before pudding, etc., ect., etc.

They're coasting on their reputation. It's not good enough. They need to improve. I shan't be having dinner there again; I might go for Sunday brunch, but only because they're close.

Bermondsey Street needs a new restaurant.
Saturday 5 January 2002 7.46pm
The other thing, of course, is that it isn't cheap.

Oh, I'm disappointed, as it's such a great place to go. I certainly won't be taking visitors from out of town again.

They're resting on their laurels. Perhaps some decent competition would shake them up a bit.
Tuesday 8 January 2002 12.31pm
I agree, I visited the HC once a year or so ago, after hearing how great it was supoosed to be. We were treated with contempt for requesting more bread and the attitude of staff was appalling and the food/ambience nothing to write home about. Sad to hear nothing's changed recently!
Tuesday 8 January 2002 4.48pm

I know what you're talking about, I went there with my mum and dad, and felt embarrassed at the way we were treated. The music was also really loud (too loud to talk properly) if you want something a bit different, why not go to Tas on Borough High St? the food is fantastic (turkish) and it's really good value! The service is OK too.
If you want more 'English' type food, then Delfina is really good still, but the main problem there is that it's only open for lunch......
If anyone wants a small and intimate local style restaurant then I would recommend Arancia, on Southwark Park Road. It won the Time Out local restaurant of the year award two years ago, and is still a real treasure. Good luck! I wonder if anyone from H.C will read any of this and make an effort to stop abusing the loyalty of their patrons??!
Wednesday 9 January 2002 9.40am
Having enjoyed going to the honest cabbage many times, I was disappointed to go there about 3 months ago. They were rude forgot several dishes and drinks and when I told them I was not leaving a tip because of the above they said suit your self. I have and not gone back.
Thursday 10 January 2002 11.23am
At the moment I find the Leathermarket Pub has good meals that you can have upstairs in a much nicer surrounding than the Honest Cabbage, much cheaper also, simple food and the potato chips are divine.... Staff are very friendly as well.

Also worth a look I feel is Campor Campor ? - not sure about the spelling there. Interesting asian influence on the food, a few weeks back I had eel soup! It's a set price for either 2 or 3 courses and you can take your own bottle of wine in if you ask very nicely - probably when booking would be best. I think they charged us a couple of pounds corkage per person, but still much cheaper than you would usually pay for a good red.

Where else is good......... I might start a thread about that.
James Hatts
Thursday 10 January 2002 11.29am
> Also worth a look I feel is Campor Campor ?

It's Champor-Champor - click here to see their listing in our restaurant database.

Thursday 10 January 2002 4.58pm
Paula mentioned Arancia, I went past a couple of times over Christmas and it didn't look as if it was open any more - does anyone know if it is?
Monday 14 January 2002 2.03pm
I note that The Honest Cabbage has had its entry removed from the 2002 Time Out Eating & Drinking Guide, wheras previously it had had rave reviews.

Clearly the folks at Time Out have noticed the slide in standards as well...
Pages:  1 2 3 Next
Current: 1 of 3

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: